Installing 10.7 On A Wiped HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lpdiii, Apr 4, 2015.

1. lpdiii macrumors newbie

Recently I wiped the HD on my 2006 MacBook Intel machine using disk utility through the start up menu. One of the options on the Mac OS X utilities menu is to reinstall Mac OS X 10.7. When I select this and go to install, it asks me to sign into the App store, which I do. Then it tells me "This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later." What should I do about this? Thanks

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I'm going to -guess- that if you want to install 10.7, you may have to search for a copy of it from a source "other than" Apple.

Such "alternative channels" ARE available, although I can't really mention them here.

Others will respond to my post with the warning that such channels are dangerous and unreliable. There may be an element of truth in that, but in my own experience I've had no more trouble with Apple System software obtained from "unofficial channels" than I have with software from Apple's own sites.

Ultimately, if you want 10.7 on there and Apple won't provide it to you any longer, you "have to do what you have to do".

Editorial rant:
    Back in the days of "the Classic Mac OS", one could go to Apple's servers or other large (usually university-administered) servers and freely download all past iterations of the Mac OS and relevant Apple software. Some of those old servers may still be up and running today, but are no longer updated.
    Apple now makes it somewhat difficult -- and in some cases impossible -- to obtain older versions of their software when you need it.
    For this reason, I have no reservations about sourcing old System software from wherever it may be available.
    End of rant.

My opinion only.
    Others will disagree.
    Some will disagree vehemently.

3. lpdiii thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your response. I'll definitely look into it. Also It's not so much that that's the OS X I desire, it's more that that's the latest version that computer will run. It's a bit frustrating but thanks again for your responses.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

One additional thought:

You may be better off using 10.6.8, if you can get it.

It may be more compatible (than is 10.7) with the software you're using now.

5. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Plus I'd imagine Snow Leopard would run a lot better on an older system like that than Lion would.