Installing 2.0 on Jailbroken 1.1.4 ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Zach14, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Zach14 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a 1.1.4 jailbroken itouch, and would like to have the jailbroken 2.0 firmware. how do i go about doing this? is it safe just to go in itunes and get it? i would like to keep all my jailbreak apps and stuff if i can.

thanks,
    zach

2. boramora macrumors member

boramora

Well the 2.0 firmware isn't available on iTunes for everyone in public right now. You'll have find it on your own. :p

I'm not sure if anyone has been able to upgrade directly from 1.1.4 to 2.0. The only way I know out there so far is with the PWNage application but that requires you to completely reformat your iPod touch. Also, Installer isn't fully supported on the 2.0 firmware so you won't be able to run most of your jailbroken applications.

3. Zach14 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright thanks. but what will i be missing out on in 2.0 if i dont get it? just an app store? seems like an app store is basically installr but it cost money.

also, what was in the 1.2 update?

4. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

The 2.0 firmware is the firmware that is due to be released in June and contains the Enterprise features that were announced at the SDK Keynote a few weeks back but at this moment is in beta form and so is very unstable and not really recommended for use. The AppStore isn't actually operational yet so if you install 2.0 then you won't be able to access it and the 1.2 firmware is another beta form of 2.0; they're interchangeable so 1.2 is the same as 2.0 but the most recent release is referred to as 2.0. Confusing yes? ;)

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't understand why so many people want a buggy and highly unstable iPod touch or iPhone by using 2.0. Also, installer doesn't work and App Store doesn't work so what's the point?

6. boramora macrumors member

boramora

Yes I have to agree that it is really buggy and it lags/crashes constantly. The only real reasons why I see anyone would want to have the 2.0 is cause they:

1. Desperately need Microsoft Exchange...
    2. Want to show off 2.0 to their friends (woohoo I can download off the internets I'm so cool!)
    3. Create their own applications with the iPod touch/iPhone SDK Applications.

If you're just an average every-day user that doesn't need any of the above, I'd just stick with 1.1.4. Apple first included the App Store and the iTunes Store in the 1.2 firmware the day it was released but that version never leaked out on the internet. The second update/seed (2.0) was leaked but Apple had already disabled both those applications cause they deemed them unnecessary in the beta firmware.