Installing 2 more gb of memory, will I notice a difference?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andyACEcandy, Aug 25, 2009.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Not too bad.

Things will run a bit faster, and you'll be able to run more programs at once without a noticeable slowdown.

Nope.

Yeah, but... why? If it's not slow, does it need to be faster? For me, "why not" would only apply if the memory was free.

Before you order anything, check how many SO-DIMMs you have. If you have two 1 GB sticks you'll have to order 2x 2 GB to get up to 4 GB, but if you have one 2 GB stick you just need one more.

3. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

True... thanks for the response

So, I guess I'll pass on this until I get some free time. I don't really use it for hardcore things anyway besides internet, chattin, movies, music the basics

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's what I would suggest, yeah. For what you're doing even a 1 GHz iBook G4 would be quite sufficient. I use a 500 MHz iBook G3 for everything you mentioned aside from movies, and it works fine. No need to get the latest cutting-edge gear for its own sake.

5. devburke Guest

It really depends what what you're doing. I don't do anything too intense, and I usually have a good chunk of my 2gb of memory free

6. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

how do i know how much of my memory i have free? sorry im a newb

7. devburke Guest

Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen and click "About This Mac"

Picture 1.png

Edit: Sorry, I missed that you said memory FREE, not just memory. Open Acitivity Monitor (in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder) and click the "System Memory" tab

Picture 2.png

8. chan2004 macrumors regular

I myself was searching for this

Thanks dev