Installing 250GB HDD - Western Digital or Samsung?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jickel, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Jickel macrumors newbie

I'm about to buy a new HDD for my 15" MBP, but I'm unsure wether to choose a Samsung 250GB SATA (model# HM250JI) or a Western Digital 250GB Scorpio (model# WD2500BEVS)? Both are 5400rpm, just wondering if anyone has any experience with either. They ought to be just as fast as the Apple 160GB 5400rom drive, right?

Thanks

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

personally id go the samsung. i have a WD sitting right next to me, it works fine. but they just tend to have more problems. the samsun also haev a really good warranty system. id prefer seagate tho anyday, but thats preference

as for speed, if ur current drive is a 5400 and the new ones are 5400rpm, there shouldnt be any difference

3. Jickel thread starter macrumors newbie

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

seems to be only a firmware problem. they will have to fix it. i wasnt aware of the problem, its only on that model tho. the WD is still an option tho. they are actually quite snappy*tiger noise*

5. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Actually, the 250GB hard drives will be faster.

6. dordal macrumors member

I used the WD. Works fine.

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i second that, i ONLY use WD drives, i also have a 160 WD drive in my compaq notebook

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

9. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

Ugh. Uninformed opinions.

The Western Digital 250GB drive outperforms the Samsung Spinpoint drive by a large margin. It's the third fastest drive on the market below the Hitachi 7K200 drives and the Seagate 7200.2 drives, both of which are 7200rpm.

Not to mention that the WD drive is only $200 WITH an external enclosure (do what you want with it -- put your old hard drive in it!).

Best Buy Link

The Samsung drive just doesn't cut it. It beat the WD to market, but the WD beats it in speed, energy usage, and price.

And yes, I do have the WD drive and it's great.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well said :rolleyes:

11. conflicttheory macrumors newbie

I just put the 250 gb WD in this afternoon. So far no problems. I ended up picking it as it was a little cheaper than some other competitors, and I have not heard any thing too bad about it.

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

Do you all have any links to back this up? I'm certain the performance comparisons are easily measured, but the long-term reliability comparisons would be more difficult.

Personally, I'd weigh the warranty and price factors before performance.

13. noway macrumors regular

noway

does changing the HD to a larger one (160 to a 250 for instance) void my Apple Protection Plan warranty?

14. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, it does. The only user-serviceable part on the MacBook pro is the RAM.

15. noway macrumors regular

noway

thank you.

16. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

It depends, sure the platter will be more dense... But it won't be as quick during seek that's if it's 5400 vs 4000...

17. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

This is a sensitive area here.. TECHNICALLY, as long as you don't screw up your computer while swapping the drive, you will not void your warranty, as per apples terms. However, if the actual procedure of swapping or the drive itself screws up your computer some how, then you would not be covered. Kind of like Apple blames 3rd party ram on all problems.

18. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

I was thinking of doing this. I was going to order the 250GB drive from apple but it is only 4200rpm. Booo.
    I've been inside a few laptops in my day... but never a MAC. I would be scared pooless that I might screw it up.

I also would like to go in to see how much thermal compound they used on my heatsinks. I've been reading some horror stories from people about how much apple slops on, and it actually raises the temperature of your cpu and GPU. Maybe I will go to the Applestore and pay them to do it. Booo

B

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha i saw a guide how to upgrade something. i think it was harddrive. very tedious work. make sure u haev a T-6torx screwdriver handy aswell.. otherwise u wont be able to get in !! the extra space will be worth it tho. im thinking of doing this myself. a nice big 250gb :)

20. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

No it doesn't. You only void your warranty if you break the thing in the process. Just swapping the drive does NOT void your warranty, Apple simply won't cover a hard drive related problem since they aren't the ones who put it in. If they determine it's a logic board problem, you'll be fine, but you'll want to put the original drive in there in any case, especially if they swap the machine entirely.

21. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

After you've done it fifteen times it takes 15-20 minutes at most to swap drives. It's second nature to me now :]

22. aquajet macrumors 68020

I've personally asked an Apple support representative about this, and he pretty much echoed your comments.

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no real heat issues are there?? ill prob get a 250gb sometime. upgrade doesnt seem to troublesome, just tedious

24. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

Nope, no issues at all.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

YAAAY thanks :) *drools at 250gb in lappy*