Installing 2nd and 3rd drives...Master? Slave? Select cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Jan 11, 2008.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I am installing two Samsung F1 750s along with my original 320GB that will hold my system. I put the drives in and only 1 showed up. I then looked at the docs and saw that there is a jumper that can be set to Master, Slave or Select Cable (EFI).

On a new MP, to set these as drives 2 and 3 (i.e. not as the boot drive), how should I set these jumpers to get both drives to show up?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

On a MacPro or a PowerMac G5, you use SATA drives and there is no Master or Slave - there is one drive per cable.

Can you give more detail what you are installing in?

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Stupid here just didn't push one of them in quite enough. They are both seen now, and the jumpers on the manual with the drives (Samsung F1s) were nowhere to be seen on the drives.

Anyway, they are working now. TY. I do have another post about drives in this forum if you know alot about Mac Pros and drive configurations, then please see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4733954#post4733954

Thank you!

4. volvoben macrumors 6502

there are sometimes jumpers for Sata I/II, but slave/master/cable select is an IDE/ATA drive issue.

5. iSavant macrumors regular

Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

Do they show up there?

6. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

They do since I pushed the 2nd one in more firmly,,,LOL

7. Interpolation macrumors regular

Well you are lucky. Just got my Mac Pro today, and tried to install 2 more drive. Looks like bay 2 is knackered. So it has to go back to apple, and they will ship me a new machine. Have to wait a week for that. Real pain in the a**e.

8. GregPacker macrumors member

GregPacker

I am considering getting some samsung F1 disks for the low noise and good performance, but two things are putting me off:

1). I would rather get a 640GB than a 750GB (because the 640GB like the 1TB uses higher density platters which give significantly better performance than the lower density platters of the 750GB). The trouble is 640GB is still not available in the stores yet.

2). A worrying number of early adopters of the F1 have had dead drives and drives that have errors (some of which can only be confirmed using special software). e.g. newegg customers:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102
    Such quality issues might explain why the F1 arrived several months after it was supposed to. A new batch is meant to be reaching dealers this month so I might wait a little while.
    Netdog, if you have a pc handy you might want to use Samsung's Hutil software to check whether your F1 disks are as healthy as they appear.