Installing 6.15 bb with GP JB 4.1 FW

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by david martin, Nov 30, 2010.

1. david martin macrumors member

First off please forgive my ignorance if this has already been covered, I've been following most threads for the last few days and still have no clear answer. If a answer already exist please point me in the right direction (link maybe :D)

I'm wanting to update my 5.14 bb to the new unlockable 6.15, BUT want to keep my untethered green poison 4.1 jail break.

A few videos I've watched seem to suggest it can be done using a mac and pwnage tool, but I do not have immediate access to a mac.

I've downloaded the ipad 3.2.2 FW (which includes bb 6.15?) onto my PC from the link on the dev blog, which I assume needs to be jailbroken via redsnow inorder to install ultrasnow via Cydia?

I'm confused how 4.2 fits into the equation. Whats the point of restoring to 4.2 if I plan to use ipad 3.2.2 FW.

Lastly, I want to give a big thanks to the dev team for providing an unlock! For those of you complaining, go write your own software. I've been waiting nearly a month to use my phone and I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel!

2. iLover1 macrumors member

if I did it so can you.

First things first, i take no responsibility if you make mistakes and your iphone turns into bumble bee and tears up your neighborhood.

About you question how 4.2.1 falls into the equation: very simple redsnow its designed to JB and unlock 4.2.1.

I have an iphone 3g unlocked unthetered, ( i dont need to re-jailbreak every time i reboot ). this is what I did: its a long story but im at work bored so might as well share my succesfull experience while getting paid. :D

Downloaded redsnow from devteam blog.

Downloaded a custom 4.2.1 firmware, i found it by doing a quick google search, make sure to download the one for your specific device. In my case iphone 3G

Updated my 4.0.1 and BB 05.14 to 4.2 and whatever BB comes with it, I did not bothered checking :D ,this was done via Itunes, yeah I know it sounds scary :eek: but i took a chance.::cool:

Then without removing the original sim card or turning the device off ( at&t 3g enabled )I plugged it into my machine. Notice: they say if you dont have the original sim card installed through out the process, the phone will hacktivate ( not good ).

I opened redsnow on XP mode this is very important, it makes a big difference as I tried it on vista mode and it was missing some vital options, like the ability to upgrade BB.

So now that redsnow its open just point it to your downloaded 4.2.1 firmware, let it do its thing.

When its done you will move on to the next screen, this is where it lets you select the different options, cidya and the most important one upgrade BB, i also selected: enable multytasking and battery percentage.

Now redsnow will begin to fetch your new BB from apple servers, up to this moment this is how it works, ( perhaps by the time you read this apple changed it :( ) redsnow will tell you to be patient cause it takes some time, my took about 3 minutes, went to fix me a sandwich came back and it was done, if it goes for very long then begin to worry. I have no advice on what to do in this case.

If it works properly, there will be a bunch of code downloaded to you device ( black background and tons of white letters and numbers ).

when its done it will tell you that you are done and the finish button will become responsive. it will also tell you "the rest of the process takes place on you device" .

I will reboot on its own ( i think i dont remember this part as I did all this only a few minutes after redsnow was available.)

Once its back on, if everything is up to standard, there will be a white icon this is cidya, I opened it and loaded it , now this I remember made me restart my phone, once back on cidya icon its available. voila. :) .

From here just open cidya and download ultrasnow, run ultrasn0w and it will also ask you to restart phone. once restarted i rplaced the at&t sim card with my tmobile sim, and it worked flawlesly. no problems at all.
    some people have complained about GPS not working, but i dont care as i dont have a 3g plan with tmobile and dont think of getting one.

3. david martin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a ton for the write up, I do really appreciate you taking the time.

I am a little confused about the firmware. Why did you update to itunes 4.2 if you had a "custom" firmware already on your computer? Also how do you install the "custom" firmware, does redsnow install it before jailbreaking it?

When in the process do you upgrade baseband? During itunes 4.2 restore, or while installing redsnow?

Lastly, I plan to install my buddies AT&T sim from his 3g phone while I install everything to prevent hacktivating. So far I've gathered installing everything without a AT&T sim changes the settings and keeps unwanted programs or hardware running killing your battery. Is this correct?

Thanks again!

4. iLover1 macrumors member

im back at work with a lot to do but not willing to do it LOL.

Once again this is only the way I analized all the hundreds of posts on the devs blog, and the way I personally understood the process before proceeding, please do not blame it on me if it doesnt work im not an expert, but did alot of reading before moving on. THKS.

Well you are correct. You do need an original sim card through out the process to avoid any undesired results.

Now why did I update to 4.2 via itunes, this is just part of the devteams blog:
    It fetches the baseband files directly from Apple for now (the only IPSW you ever point it at is the stock IPSW for the FW on your iPhone right now). Notice the word STOCK, the onlyway to get a stock firmware is on itunes. Hence redsn0w only works on 4.2, I updated via itunes then pointed redsnow to my downloaded 4.2 firmware. I hope it makes sense.

Yes redsn0w will install the custom firmware as you have got to point
    redsn0w to your downloaded 4.2 firmware in order to advance to the next screen.

Baseband gets updated druing the jailbreak process meaning ( while redsnow runs) all you have to do is check the upgrade baseband option within redsnow.

Hope I helped, good luck. Keep me posted.

5. david martin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again for the help, I'm getting close to feeling comfortable installing the new JB and UL. The only two issues I have left is in regard to battery life and whether the JB will be tethered. I think I have the old bootrom since I'm untethered with greenpoison, thus I should be untethered with the new redsnow? Regarding battery life, as long as I use an AT&T sim during the redsnow jailbreak the phone will not hacktivate and my battery life should be unaffected? sound right? Thanks again!!!

6. iLover1 macrumors member

dude once again, i did not know you hold a 3Gs, this is a whole different scenario. I cant give you any advice, nor answer any questions because i did not experience a 3Gs JB/UNLOCK. Do some research, by now there has to be a detailed guide posted, just google it.

7. david martin thread starter macrumors member

I know, I know. I only have two weeks of iphone use and terminology under my belt, so it has been a little overwhelming. I finally feel I have a grasp on everything and will do my best not to ask any more dumb questions. I do really appreciate everyones patience and help.

8. iLover1 macrumors member

well I was doing some reading on the devs blog, the only web page I would read for accurate info. The new redsn0w 0.9.6beta5 is out. It gives both Windows and OSX users the ability to flash the iPad 06.15 baseband on iPhone3G or iPhone3GS. This means that you probably dont even need to upgrade your firmware, but again im just guessing. I updated to 4.2 because my device was way to slow on 4.0.1, and i hate slow anything, its faster now :D.

So after all I guess it is the same process through redsn0w. Hell give it a try, whats the worst that could happen. Brick your device perhaps? :eek:

9. iLover1 macrumors member

and we all have asked "dumb" questions at some point. I just asked one a week ago, about how to enable MMS after unlock cause I couldnt receive, only send. then did some research and voila found the answer. easy fix trough a cydia repo. :rolleyes: