Installing 64bit over 32bit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by maflynn, May 3, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is this safe/advisable or should I wipe the drive and just with a clean slate?

I've been playing with win7 in a bootcamp partition for about week (as opposed to vmware) and I'm finding that the 32bit version to constraining thanks to the memory or lack there of. I have a 4gig MBP and the 32bit flavor is only giving me just under 3gig.

I have a bunch of stuff installed but nothing huge, in terms of major configurations or customizations. I'm not sure I'll need to reinstall all of my apps once I "upgrade" to the 64bit. If that's the case it probably makes sense to wipe and start over.

Thanks in advance
    Mike

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking that my only real option was to wipe and reinstall.

At the very least it will give me peace of mind, as if something goes wrong, I'll be wondering if its a problem or how I install/reinstalled windows.

Regards
    Mike

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

B

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks,

that seals the deal. Looks like I'll be doing that tonight.