Installing 64bit Win 7 Home Premium under Parallels 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lugesm, Sep 3, 2011.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I bought Win 7 Home Premium UPGRADE because I have Windows Vista. I tried to install Win 7 with Vista running under Parallels 7, but that failed.

Then I tried installing Win 7 as a new VM under Parallels 7. That does not work because the new install of Win 7 does not see the Vista in the first VM. As a result Win 7 UPGRADE will not install.

Does this mean that Win 7 can ONLY be installed under Parallels 7 if one is using the FULL version of Win 7 and not the UPGRADE ?

Any way around this dilemma? I have a copy of Vista.

2. alust2013, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

1. Download Windows 7 SP1 ISO (This way you don't have to waste half an hour upgrading to SP1 after the install)
    2. Create new VM
    3. Mount ISO
    4. Install Windows 7
    5. Go through the Windows 7 User setup wizard and click "Skip" on the Product Key entry dialog
    6. In the Start Menu search box type "regedit.exe" and press Enter
    7. Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/"
    8. Double click "MediaBootInstall" and change it from "1" to "0"
    9. Close Regedit
    10. In the Start Menu search box type "cmd" then Right click on the result and choose "Run as administrator"
    11. In the now open Command Prompt type "slmgr /rearm" (and wait for it to finish)
    12. Restart VM
    13. In the Start Menu search box type "activate" and press Enter
    14. Follow the wizard and enter your Product Key to activate
    15. Install Parallels Guest Additions
    16. Run Windows Update until there are no updates left
    17. Run Disk Defragmenter Once (skip this step if you have a SSD)
    18. Restart VM
    -------

Or you can do it the way balamw suggested. Either way will work.

5. summitRun macrumors regular

Dont want to hijack but I've read that link and many others you have provided on this subject (many thanks for that :)). I have a new MBA (barely used) and an older think pad with a valid xp license that I would like to retire. I'm wondering if it would be worth a shot to try a clean install from an upgrade of Win 7 even though I have no interest in having 'xp' on my MBA. The article kind of makes you think that anyone with a valid copy of xp or vista is 'eligible' for an upgrade...but isnt that machine specific?

6. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thanks for the comment, "balamw"
    When trying to install Win 7-64 under Parallels7 as a new VM, the install wizard will not allow you to proceed without entering the key, so the 'double install' method will not work with Parallels 7. :(

7. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Did you see the links for the Official ISO's I posted? Official install media will not ask you for a key until after the setup is finished and will also give you a option to "Skip" entering the key.

Please see the steps I posted.

8. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Quad5Ny . . . .

My mistake. I did not read your post with sufficient care.
    I went back and used your method, and it worked perfectly. Not only did you help me through a tough spot, you taught me something valuable. :)

Thank you very much.
    L.

9. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny