Installing a 2nd hard drive replaces CD-drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacOSXuser, Jul 19, 2012.

1. MacOSXuser macrumors regular

Hi, I would like to know if the DVD drive in my white unibody macbook 2.26GHz is a SATA II connection?

I see many hard drive caddy replaces the DVD drive on ebay for like 10 bucks, they posted SATA, do I need a SATA II?

Thanks

2. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

I'm not 100% sure about the answer to your first question but from what I heard SATA is backwards compatible so if you installed a newer version of it you shouldn't have problems using it and plus you'll be able to swap it to your next computer if you decide later on to update.

Sorry if I'm not being clear but I'm not really tech-savvy enough to understand all this things but I'm in a similar situation where I'm researching on how to do this in a MPB. You should check YouTube as there are a lot of videos about this topic, including some good tutorials.

3. MarkDK2 macrumors newbie

I have been looking at this myself and I believe the HDD caddie you see on ebay will work if you have doubts OWC sells what they call a data doubler and is essentially the same thing. I was thinking of doing this to setup RAID on my SSD just need another SSD and the caddie. but every time I think I am not going to use the optical something comes up and I need it for some reason......