Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I am having a Mac shop install a 500 GB SSD as I speak. Gonna do the restore myself using time machine. According to the tech this install should take close to 2 hours.

Question. Will restoring MS Office be a pain? I am using 2016. Gonna use Migration assistant. The tech is going to install Mojave into a dummy account but I will do the restore.

Last edited:

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
Not sure what installing Mojave into a "dummy account" means, but as long as your backup isn't from a much older version of macOS, I can't see you having any big problems. I would say having product keys on hand wouldn't hurt, but you should be OK.

Reactions: mbosse

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Not sure what installing Mojave into a "dummy account" means, but as long as your backup isn't from a much older version of macOS, I can't see you having any big problems. I would say having product keys on hand wouldn't hurt, but you should be OK.

Got it all installed. Boy this MacBook is ow lighting fast! No more spinners for me.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Office 2016 registers via your account and password with them. It doesn't suffer the Office 2011 issues with hardware changes.

I thought Office 2016 had the same requirements as Office 2011 in that it needed to be activated and was sensitive to hardware changes. I know that Office 365 is as you stated above. You're saying that the same holds true for the one time purchased 2016 or 2019 versions?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I thought Office 2016 had the same requirements as Office 2011 in that it needed to be activated and was sensitive to hardware changes. I know that Office 365 is as you stated above. You're saying that the same holds true for the one time purchased 2016 or 2019 versions?

I had to log into my MS account from the app and the app registered.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Okay, thanks. That's certainly different from my copy of Office 2011 which I needed to activate each time I moved it to another Mac - and my copy was the 3 install version. I now have Office 365 Word which I downloaded from the Mac App Store and that is as you say. Good luck on finding a new job. I'm retired now, so no more job hunting! :)

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Okay, thanks. That's certainly different from my copy of Office 2011 which I needed to activate each time I moved it to another Mac - and my copy was the 3 install version. I now have Office 365 Word which I downloaded from the Mac App Store and that is as you say. Good luck on finding a new job. I'm retired now, so no more job hunting! :)

How is Office 365 different from Office 2016?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
How is Office 365 different from Office 2016?
Office 365 is a subscription service that allows you to have the latest version of MS Office. You can pay a monthly fee (or to save money) pay an annual fee. If you stop the subscription, you have only read-only permissions in the Office modules... you can load files in the Office 365 but you can't save any changes.

When you subscribe, you can download Office from Microsoft's site, install it on your computer, and when you start an Office module, it will "phone home" to Microsoft to see if you have an active subscription. (I think it phones home once a month)

Depending upon the subscription package, you can install Office 365 on up to 5 laptops/desktops and 5 tablets and get 1TB of OneDrive storage (per person in your household up to 5)

Office 2016 is the typical "perpetual license" where you pay once for the product and it is yours forever.

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Office 365 is a subscription service that allows you to have the latest version of MS Office. You can pay a monthly fee (or to save money) pay an annual fee. If you stop the subscription, you have only read-only permissions in the Office modules... you can load files in the Office 365 but you can't save any changes.

When you subscribe, you can download Office from Microsoft's site, install it on your computer, and when you start an Office module, it will "phone home" to Microsoft to see if you have an active subscription. (I think it phones home once a month)

Depending upon the subscription package, you can install Office 365 on up to 5 laptops/desktops and 5 tablets and get 1TB of OneDrive storage (per person in your household up to 5)

Office 2016 is the typical "perpetual license" where you pay once for the product and it is yours forever.

Glad I got 2016 then as I don’t want another bill. 2016 works fine for me and besides use iWorks most of the time.

Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.