Installing a 8800GT PC Graphics Card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fuizer, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Fuizer macrumors member

Hey all!
    I am in the market to buy a mac pro, and I have been reading through the forums and I couldn't find any straight forward information on how to install a 8800GT PC version graphics card on the Mac Pro. On the Apple.com Store it says that for an upgrade 8800GT costs $349.99, damn expensive.. as the NewEgg.com price is $119.99 after rebates. I am really hoping that I can opt out and just get the stock ATI Radeon 2600XT and then buy the PC 8800GT to put in with it. How do you install the PC version 8800GT??? Sorry if this is already been answered, I just couldn't find it.

Thanks for your help!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Look for the thread "8800 GT EFI64 ROM" in the Mac Pro forum. There's a tutorial and the ROM itself within. You need to make sure that you get a card with a 1024K chip, otherwise the ROM won't fit. eVGA ones work, and if you get an overclocked one, you can rewrite the firmware to let it remain overclocked, not only in Windows, but in OS X as well!

3. Fuizer thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, I knew there had to be something explaining it!
    Another question, I just looked up some EVGA cards like you mentioned...
    Will any of these 4 cards work?

Thanks again!

4. siorai macrumors 6502

8800GT EFI64 ROM

Pretty easy stuff. Just do some reading and make sure you get a proper card. eVGA looks to be the best. I vastly preffered their cards on my PC anyways. Lifetime warranty even if you mod it like changing the cooler.

I flashed an eVGA 8800GT (512-P3-N801-AR) last weekend. It works wonderfully. :D The most difficult part? Getting power to the 8800GT and that wasn't even that difficult. I have yet to actually try it out in BootCamp, but it works perfectly in OSX.

Quick and dirty instructions for doing the whole procedure on your Mac Pro, but read through the thread to fully understand the procedure. (All files can be found or are linked to in the above thread.):

-create small FAT32 partition using BootCamp Assistant
    -copy nvflash.exe (version 5.57 or later) and mp8800gt.rom to that partition
    -I put the 8800GT in slot 1, with the 2600XT in slot 2 with monitor connected
    -boot using fdfullcd.iso from freedos.org
    -run nvflash.exe from partition
    -run nvflash --check to verify size
    -run nvflash -4 -5 -6 mp8800gt.rom to flash ROM to card
    -game away with silky smooth framerates

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, dear. The middle two are separate by one number, but one of them does work all of the time...

Okay, the N801 is confirmed to work, at least.

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

The 1GB 8800GT looks interesting. I also like the fact that it uses a dual slot cooler. I wonder if anyone has tried flashing it for use in a Mac Pro...

7. Fuizer thread starter macrumors member

Would you mind checking it out in BootCamp? That's a large factor for me! I would be using the Mac Pro for PC gaming as well.
    Thanks.

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have a flashed 8800GT and it works perfectly in Bootcamp.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Good old nvflash...

what about the newer G92-based cards, such as the 9800GTX?

10. imynderup macrumors newbie

in same boat...

I bought one of the evga cards that is said to be working with this flashing business. Per an "apple expert", she lead me to think that any of the 8800GT's would work, but if I purchased the Nvidia one or apple, I wouldn't lose my apple care support. Great! I'll save myself $100+ and nab me one of these better, less expensive cards,

Then I do some research and find that flashing the ROM is required. My question(s) are these:

1( do I really need to flash the Rom, and 2( if I do, is it as simple as downloading the mp8800gt.rom and double-clicking it? forgive me, I am a newb when it comes to stuff like this. thanks for all your help/advice.

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

RE: flashing a 1GB 8800 GT, it doesn't work.

RE: flashing the rom: yes, you have to do it (unless you only want it to work under Windows) and no, it's not that easy.