Installing a Backlit Keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Krauser, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Krauser macrumors regular

I have the original unibody 2.0Ghz MacBook aluminum from 2008 and it has been probably my favorite piece of tech that I own and definitely the most reliable. In short, I love it, and it is pretty much the best computer I have ever had the pleasure of owning. That said, I've always been envious of the backlit keyboards (as the 2.0Ghz model didn't have one and you needed to step up to the 2.4Ghz to get it). It wasn't the biggest tradeoff, and I'm a pretty good touch typer, so it wasn't a huge deal to me.

That said, after almost 5 years, I finally found out you can just buy the backlighting for the keyboards (and I found a legit seller on ebay where you can get one for my model, the A1278) for about 4 dollars with free shipping too).

My question is, how difficult would it be to install? I know my way around my laptop and have opened it many a time, but I've never installed the top case or done anything as extensive as it seems to be.

Also, will it even work? I know my model didn't ship with a backlight keyboard, but apparently they have the same logic board as the 2.4Ghz models (and thusly, the same connector for the backlight ribbon cable that never got installed for whatever reason Apple chose not to include it).

2. simsaladimbamba

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

4. Krauser thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it has the 2 keys, though they aren't marked as such (they don't have the little backlight adjustment logos on them, they're just black keys). I've read that they function just as they should though.

----------

That's the only thing worrying me. I'm not too concerned about losing parts or getting confused, I'm just worried about potentially breaking the machine or disconnecting something that could completely ruin the laptop.

5. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Ehh I don't think it's worth the risk if you ask me. Personally I never even use the backlight on my keyboard. I mean it's nice to have but not really needed since I (and assuming most people) know where the keys are.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like more work than it's worth… seriously you lasted this long without a backlit keyboard, why do you all of a sudden need one? I almost never use my backlit keyboard.

7. Krauser thread starter macrumors regular

Honestly, I kind of want to do it just for the hell of it :p plus, I think they look cool haha

8. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

It definitely would be a project but sometimes that can be fun. If it seems too difficult, maybe you could sell it and locate a 2.4GHz model with the illuminated keyboard and pay the difference? It shouldn't be a terrible amount.

Be sure to check that guide as it states in the first step that some 2.0GHz models do not have the required backlight ribbon connector on the logic board.

9. Krauser thread starter macrumors regular

I kinda just wanted it as something to do. I'm not going to buy one just to have a backlit keyboard :p I'm just holding myself over with my trusty 08 model until I upgrade to the Haswell Retina's that'll launch later this year. I'm only really contemplating it because it's a 4 dollar part and seems easy enough.

10. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

You found the backlit keyboard for $4?! Nice. I missed that part in the OP.

It doesn't look difficult, just time consuming. Especially since the keyboard alone has 50+ screws. Be sure you check your logic board for the illumination connector before anything else though.