Installing a cable modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thesdx, Jul 15, 2008.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I would like to install another cable modem in my house, as the wireless signal can't reach to the 3rd floor, and I can't run an ethernet cable up there. It seems like it would be easy to just buy a cable modem, plug it into a cable connection, and go from there, but I know Comcast would never let something be that easy. I don't want Comcast to do it, as they'll charge me extra, and I'm not letting them touch my Mac. ;) Is it just that easy, or do you need to set it up with network info, etc?

2. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Doubtful. You're likely to run into at least two major problems, based on my experience:

1) Another cable modem (if you can even find one) will likely not interface properly with Comcast's digital system, so you won't find a signal.
    2) Even if you do manage to get a signal, cable companies typically broadcast the weakest signal possible so as to prevent exactly this. Without a signal booster (which you can probably get at radio shack), your tv reception will probably suffer, as will your internet speed.

Why not pay the extra couple of bucks a month to make it easier?

3. rontheancient macrumors regular

If you go with this option, you will need to register the modems' MAC address with Comcast. Usually, you are assigned one common IP for all the computers in your home and I think you are essentially paying for one IP. So a extra modem will add on to your bill and probably see slight slower speeds as Cookie said due to the increased data flowing through one coax line.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Since the cable modem will have to get its own IP address from comcast, they will find out, and will charge you accordingly.

Are you using a 3g router and still not able to get signal upstairs? :confused:

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Any chance of just getting a wireless access point to boost the signal? In theory, it would only need power from the wall, no ethernet signal, and if you put it on the 2nd floor (assuming your router is currently on the ground floor) it should be able to boost the signal to the 3rd floor.

I've never tried this, so if someone out there knows better than I do please correct me.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You might be on to something!

Depending on what the wireless router is, you can bridge it to another one, say like the AirportExpress which can be placed on the 2nd floor, and that can carry the signal. :cool:

7. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

If you add another cable modem, Comcast will charge you full price for internet service for each so I highly recommend not going that route. You may want to buy a better router or get another router that supports bridging.