Installing a Clean Copy of Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjfjfjfj, Apr 20, 2012.

1. fjfjfjfj macrumors 6502

I know this topic has been covered ad nauseam in these forums, but I must have some kind of mental block because I just can seem to figure out which method I'm supposed to use to accomplish what I want.

I have Lion installed on my iMac through the App Store upgrade process. I am now looking to erase everything on my hard drive and install Lion clean as if it's a brand new computer. I have a time capsule with backups if anything goes wrong but what I plan to do is just copy my itunes, iphoto, and document libraries onto a LaCie hard drive manually and then after the clean install of Lion is done I will just put those three items back. I will manually re-install any other programs I had.

My questions are:

1. Do I follow the instructions to make a Lion USB drive I have seen on here and install from that?
    2. Do I have to do anything first to erase everything or will the install of Lion take care of that?
    3. Because it's a clean install I understand that I don't need my Snow Leopard disks, is that true? (Because I have no idea where it is).
    4. Will this accomplish what I want, a clean hard drive like from the store with just Lion installed?
    5. What will happen when I turn the time capsule back on, will it just continue backing up the system as normal in it's new state or do I have to do anything to erase the Time Capsule (after I'm sure didn't screw anything up)?

I know there is a lot of debate about why someone would want to do this and whether it's worth it, I just feel like the system has slowed down since Lion was installed and I want to do it clean to see if that will help. I know some people argue it won't, but I'm willing to give it a try. Plus the computer is a few years old now and I just to keep things clean and running smoothly.

Let me know and I'm sure there will be some follow up questions as I probably left some things out or used some incorrect terminology.

Mark

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

For your purposes, I would make the USB key installer and use that.

Once you start from the installer, go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility and use that to format your drive. That will give you a completely clean start.

If you boot from the USB key installer you will not need Snow Leopard.

TC will continue with the same backup set.

3. fjfjfjfj thread starter macrumors 6502

Just wanted to say thank you for your quick and accurate reply. Everything went great and Lion is running markedly faster now.

Thank you again.