Installing a copy of Windows 7 -- CD brand question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jinxednuance, Mar 19, 2011.

1. jinxednuance macrumors regular

My friend gave me the CD that came with her VAIO laptop, it is Windows 7. My question is, can I use it to install a copy of it on my Mac?

She never used the CD.

2. simsaladimbamba

Unlikely, as it is tied to the PC it came with.
    And although she never used it, you are not technically getting the license for Windows, as it is already in use on her computer, where Windows is installed.

3. wpotere Guest

Leagally? No....

4. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

What's her VAIO laptop doing now?

I believe technically the copy of Windows is an OEM licensed version intended only for her VAIO, regardless of whether it is currently being used or not.

However, ethics aside, you should be able to install and use it.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you activate it using the VAIO's product key, you may end up deactivating your friend's license or both of them.

If you don't use a product key, you'll get a 30 day trial license extendable to 120 days. That's just fine.

B

6. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly, that's my thought. Wouldn't it like "block" installing it on any other Mac or PC?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The "block" is handled by activation. Using the same product key will show up at Microsoft and will force the VAIO to reactivate.

I'm assuming that the VAIO came with W7 preinstalled and pre-activated, so even though the DVD was unused, the license was.

B

8. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

a lot of makes of windows laptops use a slic table - a hidden part of a bios that allows preactivation of windows.

we get it a lot where vista licence keys are rubbed off (stupid Sticker idea by MS) and if it has a slic 2 bios then it will activate vista and 2.1 is win7. there is a program that does this with the correct os version and key sony will have 1 key for win7 home premium thats installed on all machines but because there preactivated and a factory reset puts it back to this point there is never any use for the actual code on the sticker!

the sticker is there as an after thought to show that you are LEGIT for windows 7 otherwise you could run any os on any laptop.

The snag you would come across is

a) the disc would be a custom disc and force all sony's bits and hardware drivers onto you bootcamp or even in some cases format the hdd as 2 partitions and NAIL you osx drive.

b) its a vanilla install disc (90% more likely these days) but you would only be able to get 30 / 120days grace period as if you tried to activate the windows key it will tell you that this product key is invalid for activation and you can either buy a new one or ring MS and speak to them...at this point they will prob explain that the key wont work on anything else besides the sony laptop and wont help you at all.

on OEM keys there is no transfer of ownership for general public...basically if the laptop blew up you cant use the key on another machine even though the sony is out of action.

retail keys are different and also if your a MS registered OEM builder etc then you can transfer keys as long as you tick all the boxes they require :)

Vinda :D