Installing a dmg file

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by newmacmom, Nov 30, 2008.

1. newmacmom macrumors member

Dec 28, 2006
    I downloaded Photo to Movie (the paid for version), and it is still showing up as a dmg file. I did drag it to my applications folder, and even when I try to launch it from there, it says it is an application from the web. Not only that, when I try to update it, it says I do not have permission and need to contact the system administrator (which is me!). I have a 24" imac with Leopard. I have been fooling with it so much that now I have 3 dmgs of it....ACK!
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    You don't install dmg files: you mount them as virtual disks and install the contents.

You might find this guide helpful
  3. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2008
    You didn't drag the DMG file into your applications folder did you? You can't install a DMG file, it is basically a compressed file which contains the program inside. You have to open the dmg file by double clicking it and dragging the content into your applications folder. Unless it is a self installer where you just double click it inside the DMG file. Hope this helps.
  4. newmacmom thread starter macrumors member

Dec 28, 2006

feeling dumb here. I just heard I had to drag it into the applications folder so I dragged the whole thing, not the contents. Thanks! I updated it, and it works now! :D