Installing a GTX280

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bigpurp, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Bigpurp macrumors member

[EDIT] Ok so I got my GTX 280 in and ordered the correct cables. Someone told me at bestbuy that the card requires too much power for the PSU in the mac pro 1,1 to handle over a long period of time. He also said that I would need an additional cooler for the card, and so I would need an external psu to power this cooler. I already figured this was the case, but not sure if I need to spend so much money on a power supply.

Do you guys think this is true? I was thinking of powering the cooler from the optical bay 4-pin but this guy said all of this would make my mac pretty much fail. Just wondering whats the best route to go since I know some of you are successfully using this card (with no extra psu)

[EDIT] I didn't want to start a new thread for such simple questions so ya.

Thnx again!

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

For cabling, use two (2x) of these, and connect them to the PCIe (mini) power sockets on the logic board.
    Then connect the PCIe 6 pin end into on of these to adapt it to an 8 pin PCIe end.
    Then feed into the 280GTX, and you're done. ;)

Nice, neat, and another member proved it works. :)
    The only downside, is that you have to obtain the cables, and they are about ~$36USD, not including shipping. :(

3. m1stake macrumors 68000

If you're considering a GTX 280, you won't have a problem with another $36+ dollars.

4. Bigpurp thread starter macrumors member

lol this is true, I was originally gonna get a 9800 for 200$ but for 130 more I can get the 280 so why not rite? (going out of business sales FTW)

So ur saying I dont need to use the cables that come with the card? ty for the help

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Some might. :eek: :p
    I'm just used to OEM (whether sold that way or not), and get the cables anyway. ;)
    Others have posted that they had problems attempting to use the 4 pin Molex connector in optical bay 2 with the included cables. :(
    Worst case, you'll have to wait a few days or so for the cables. :p

Glad it helped. :)

6. Bigpurp thread starter macrumors member

kk I'll take your word for it. Better to get them now instead of having to wait when I find out the card doesn't work with the included cables!

I was also thinking of ordering a 120mm cooler for the card but I'm not too sure I would have any power cables left for it. Think I would have to get a 4-pin Y splitter?

Thanks again

7. m1stake macrumors 68000

Oh Circuit City, you're prices no longer [totally] suck :p

8. Bigpurp thread starter macrumors member

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

A Y splitter would be fine for running a fan, as they don't draw much power.
    Really power hungry graphics cards tend to be another story, unless you have multiple rails available (Mac Pro doesn't). :p
    LOL! :D
    Do you have a story to share?

10. Bigpurp thread starter macrumors member

wait so If I use two of these, and connect them to the PCIe (mini) power sockets on the logic board, then how do I make the 2 6-pin ends go into the card? Their is only one 6 fem and one 8 fem on the gtx.

[​IMG]

Does this mean I dont even need to use the optical bay 2? sry if I seem like a total noob but I must figure this out.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

You use a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter cable (the second link in the cable links I posted). ;)
    This converts one of the 6 pin ends from the ATI cables into the necessary 8 pin end you need to power the card. The end result of the 3 cables gives you an 8 pin and 6 pin power connections. :D
    Exactly what you need for success. :p

12. Bigpurp thread starter macrumors member

oOo k think I get it now rofl. So I'm only plugging the card into the two 6 pins on the motherboard? no bay rite?

13. Bigpurp thread starter macrumors member

Soo I'm gonna hook the card up when the cables come in but I don't want this thing to over heat too much. Someone suggested keeping the case open, but won't that damage the organs?

Anyway, just checking how hot these cards get in the mac and if I should actually buy a cooler / psu or can I just power all of this from the mac?
    (two 6 pins on motherboard for the card & optical bay for the fan) Thnx

14. Ploki macrumors 68000

it wont damage it, but it will be louder and dustier.
    also, do some measurements if you really gain much because controlled airflow is sometimes better than "all over the place"

15. Bigpurp thread starter macrumors member

16. ceres macrumors regular

You won´t have to because you are looking at a 5!! slot design with the fan.
    You can´t install the card in the 1st peg slot because the hr03 would add a thumbscrew to the bottom of the videocard. There is no enough space for such a setup :eek::(:confused:

17. Bigpurp thread starter macrumors member

'darnet' so u must install the card on the bottom slot only? sux
    how can I cool this thing?
    can't you put the cooler on top? Im such a nub

18. alam macrumors regular

alam

can i sli 2 gtx 260 or 280 with my mac pro, even if i have to use it only on windows?
    also can i crossfire 2 ati 4870 or 4850 with my mac pro on windows?

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lets watch the language lol

profanity filters are there for a reason

20. Bigpurp thread starter macrumors member

^dang I got excited, thought sum1 actually had an answer but it was just another lame-o, oh wells. sry for using such bad language though :confused:
    thnx for quoting me so I get banned though, hopefully I can get some help before that happens

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

From posts of those who've installed the 280GTX, no mention of a 3rd party cooler was even mentioned.

So I assumed that they were relying on the stock cooling solution. No posts showed up concerning any thermal issues anyway. :eek: ;)

Maybe they just haven't self destructed yet. :p

Hope this helps. :)

22. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Any idea where to source these in the UK? ATi's US website won't ship to here as far as I could tell, and the UK site doesn't have them. I'm wanting to stick a 280 or one of the new 260s in my Mac Pro.

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

UK supplier, No. :( But Yes to where you can get one sent to you. :p

Radeon X1900 Mac G5 Edition 6 pin Power Cable

They are US based IIRC, but sent an e-mail previously about shipping. (This has come up before). ;)

They do ship internationally. :D

24. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Superb. Cable ordered! (I already have one off the 8800GT installed in the MP)

25. alam macrumors regular

alam

come on guys no one answered my question??