Installing a new hardrive help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JoshOohAh, Jul 2, 2009.

1. JoshOohAh macrumors newbie

JoshOohAh

HELLO!!!!!!! Well in a few short days I will be ordering my 13inch mbp and i am buying my ram and hard drive from a third party.

Since its a uni-body(or whatever the heck its called) i need to take off the whole backing and i feel confident in myself to do so, it just i want to make sure that everything will work

I don't have any files to backup other then my music which fits on a sd card so transferring files isn't necessary. So when i get my mac can i just bust open the thing and replace the hard drive right away and install leopard or do i need to install leopard on it by connecting my new hard drive to the firewire port (through some adapter which i have in my house). or does the leopard disc that comes with my mac only work on the default hard drive?

thanks to anyone who helps me

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Right when you get your MBP, you should be able to replace the hard drive. After putting in the new hard drive, you will have to boot up from the leopard disk that came with your MBP. After installing leopard, you will then have to install your applications that was the 2nd disk that came with your MBP.

3. JoshOohAh thread starter macrumors newbie

JoshOohAh

nice! thanks saves me a lot of trouble

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Oh and by the way, you hold down the Option key right when your MBP starts to boot to boot from the Leopard disk.

5. JoshOohAh thread starter macrumors newbie

JoshOohAh

PERFECT! THANKS!

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

No problem! ;)

7. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

also don't forget to go to disk utilities and partition the HD before trying to install if it's a new drive.