Installing a new HD in the 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acraig426, Jun 12, 2009.

1. acraig426 macrumors newbie

I just bought my 13" MBP and I'm trying to put in my Seagate 7200.4 hard drive. As near as I can tell, I just unscrew the bottom part and take out the old one and put the new one in. Problem is, there is one screw on the bottom right-hand corner of the machine that absolutely refuses to move. I am using the correct size screwdriver and all the other ones came out fine, it's just this one that seems intent on thwarting my efforts.
    Since Apple says that they won't put in the drive themselves, I assume that taking it to the genius bar isn't an option. Has anyone done this yet with their 13" MBP?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. acraig426 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, that's what I'm trying to do but I must have a defective screw or something. The one in the bottom right hand corner won't come undone.

4. acraig426 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I got the screws undone and plugged in my new hard drive as per the apple instructions. Now, however, when I insert my Leopard install disk, the list of places for "where do you want to install to?" is blank. Did I do something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated, ASAP. Thanks!

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Before you run the installer you need to go to Disk Utility in the utilities menu, select the new drive from the list on the left, choose Erase (male sure it's set to the extended (journaled) format and hit erase.
    This will reformat the drive so you can install the os.

6. acraig426 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, you posted that literally seconds after I figured it out for myself. Thank you so much for the help though. Hopefully now I'll be all set to start using my new 13" MacBook Pro!!