installing a new OS

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by solarguy17, Oct 16, 2007.

1. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone tried to install a different OS on the touch. It certainly has enouch memory. I dont have enough skill to try but I was just wondering if anyone though it was even possible.

I dont think it would work very well, becuase you would need to write a script to have the mouse controlled by the touch screen and maybe have a way for the virtual keyboard to pop up when you did something.

Linux, Vista, OS X?

Just Curious?

2. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

You're kidding, right?!? The OS IS the touch....
    :D

Rod.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

You think that it has enough memory? There's a better chance of finding a snowball in hell than there is to get Vista working.

Also, the touch is running OS X at its core. The interface is just different.

4. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

lol, vista on the iPod Touch... that'll be the day.

5. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Linux: inevitable

Windows: never happen

The difference is that Windows is closed source, so unless Microsoft decides to patch and compile a special version for the iTouch...it's completely infeasible.

6. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

Unfeaseable.:D

Why Vista? GOD TELL ME WHY VISTA???
    Give Me Linux
    Give me 'X
    But Take away Vista
    Something Something Sex.

7. Brereton55 macrumors newbie

We probably will see linux, but not for awhile.

By the way most of the people who make jokes about Vista have never used it.

8. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Umm, even if you spelled it right, unfeasable still isn't proper english. Infeasible is correct.

9. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I've used it, I've never made jokes about it, but it still sucks. Bloated piece of crap that bogs down every little thing that you try to do on a machine.

Every time I have to use the Dell that my father in law so graciously purchased for my wife, I want to take it out and run it over with my car multiple times until there is not even the slightest fragment of what a computer should look like remaining. Yes, I dislike it THAT much.

10. BII macrumors member

Vista, doubt it.

but maybe Windows Mobile

I'm sure there's drivers for all the hardware on the touch, i don't know though, i've never ported an OS to a portable device.

11. solyd macrumors regular

Why would you want Linux? The OS the Touch uses is already based off Unix :/

12. Expecto macrumors newbie

solyd, have you used linux? Just because an OS is based on the same thing Linux is based on doesn't mean it's OK. I'd like to see Linux on the IPT, but I probably wouldn't use it. I'm even one of those guys who likes to run linux on everything, but I think OSX has what it takes to deal w/ the IPT. Well, at least with some "added features"

13. solarguy17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

it was more of a joke then anything else. I dont think Vista or XP or 98 would work at all.

I just thought it woul dbe funny to see a touch with a start menu or something. Simlar