Installing a new video card for both OSX and Windows!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TJunkers, Dec 7, 2009.

1. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

I just bought a new video card which should arrive Wednesday! I bought the EVGA GeForce GTX 285! I have read several reviews saying to install the drivers on your mac before you install the card which I figured you had to do anyway, but what should I do on the windows side?

Should I uninstall the drivers for the current card, restart into mac, install the drivers for the new card, shut down, install card, then restart into Windows and install the drivers?

Thanks!

2. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Did u buy the EVGA GeForce GTX 285 Mac Edition ?
    OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) has already installed the drivers. So you don't have to install the drivers and just install the Card and it will work. I'm not sure if 10.5.8 has the drivers too.

Otherwise you just have to install the drivers first, and then install the graphics card. You can read it in the manual too.

When you're starting windows, windows should recognize your card.
    I recommend downloading the graphics drivers from the nvidia site or evga site. Make sure you choose the right ones.

Do you want to replace the card or add it to another one ?
    If u replace it, I would delete all graphics drivers, shut down - install new card and install the new already downloaded drivers.

3. TJunkers thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

Thanks for the help!

I have snow leopard and im using this card to replace the one I currently have, so I'll just go to Windows, uninstall the drivers, shut down, install the new card and boot back up and get the latest drivers!

4. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Yes that should work !