Installing a newer version of OS X slow down your Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TantalizedMind, Aug 17, 2007.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Hey guys. I was just wondering when updating your OS X Version # (via software download) or installing the upcoming 10.5.. does all those updates store memory and burn performance speed?

I'm planning to buy a new iMac, but if having the iMac start with 10.4 and then update that to 10.4.10+, and THEN install 10.5 in October.. if that wastes space on the HDD, then I'll just wait til October for 10.5 to come pre-installed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

It shouldn't at all. If your really nervous just back up all your data...wipe the hard drive and install from scratch.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It shouldn't decrease the speed and it shouldn't take up any more space then it needs to. Buy now and enjoy :).

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The iMac will come with 10.4.10 installed already. 10.5 may take up a bit more space but nothing noticeable although all your old data will be archived. Speed should improve with the new OS.

5. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Thanks guys. I think I'll have to pick up a new iMac REAL soon! I'll set up a network between the new iMac and my G5 and just use my G5 as a music server. Cram all my music in the G5 and stream it using the iMac while I create projects on that pretty screen.