installing a os on a imac g3?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brotherben, Mar 31, 2009.

1. brotherben macrumors member

brotherben

Hello, let me start off saying I bought a iMac g3 (working) and I wiped the hard drive clean using disk utility. Now I am trying to install osx 10.3 I put the cd in and started to boot off the cd and on the install window it said the imac g3 firm ware needs to be updated. But how am I going to do this with no os on the mac? I've tried to install os 9.2.1 but a flashing ? over a floppy disk appears, I have no clue what to do, If I can get the firmware updated on the imac than it should let me install osx 10.3 but I don't know how to install the new firmware.

any help is appreciated.

btw here is the spec's imac g3 400mhz (red color) 128mb of ram, 10 gb hdd

thanks, Ben

2. California macrumors 68040

California

I think you have to go to Apple's website and download the firmware for 9.2.2. or something.

Google around

3. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

You'll need to finish the install of the OS that came with it, now that you have wiped the disk with disk utility.

when you finished the install, install the firmware (available on Apples site) then run the 10.3 installation and all should be well.

let us know how you get on.

4. brotherben thread starter macrumors member

brotherben

The thing is is that I bought this used, and I don't have the original CD's, I am going to my local apple store tomorrow, hopefully I can buy the factory install os that originally came with the imac.

5. txnoob macrumors 6502

Good luck with the apple store having Install disks of 9.2.2.

Your G3 iMac is going on 9 years old if not already.

6. brotherben thread starter macrumors member

brotherben

I know it's a hobby, I would like to get an imac g3 in all the different colors. Right now as far as my mac collection goes I have my every-day primary 2.4 ghz macbook, then a dual 500mhz powermac g4 and a powermac g4 cube at 500mhz. BUt if I could get a os installed in the 400mhz g3 imac than it would add the value (to me) to the collection.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I like your doing!
    If I had a round table, I would love to put the iMac G3's like attached pic :cool:

However, I only have one Rev A iMac (Mac OS X Server 1.2), and one Indigo iMac II (Mac OS X 10.1) for my iMac collection ATM. :eek:

But back to the original question.
    You need to get hold of a Mac OS 9.2.2 installation....
    Either find a pre-installed Mac (maybe your Cube can help you out?) and simply copy the entire contents of that Mac OS 9 System Folder to the iMac (yes, it was that easy to "clone" a Mac OS 9 system...), or get hold of a Mac OS 9.2.1 retail CD, and install that.
    On way or another, you need a working Mac OS 9.2.x system on that iMac to let you run the required firmware update.

Attached Files:

8. txnoob macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking the iMac because of it's age. I have a 500Mhz Graphite, it's just a trusty machine. Doesn't ever get turned on anymore though, collecting dust.

My comment about it's age was more the support you'd get form the apple store. You'll most likely have to buy the install disks somewhere like ebay.

9. brotherben thread starter macrumors member

brotherben

awesome idea with the table. I did some research and some threads (not on this site) said that you have to have the install disks from the same computer. i.e. not os 9.2 from a powermac or something like that. So Hopefully the apple store will have the original os for the imac g3, if not I will try to get a hold of 10.1 or 10.2 cus I think they will work, I am not sure. Because I think I saw somewhere that said 10.3 and on need the firmware update.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I believe firmware update for those model require os9.2

11. txnoob macrumors 6502

Call your local Apple Store before making the trip as I fear it will be a wasted one. I tried to get assistance with a 10.2 install and no luck there.

12. brotherben thread starter macrumors member

brotherben

ok thanks, I set up an appointment with a genius for tomorrow, but I'll give them a call to.

13. brotherben thread starter macrumors member

brotherben

I have a copy of os 9.2.1 but when I go to install it all I get is a flashing ? over a floppy disk. Which is different than the flashing ? over the mac face thing. What do I do now?
    btw I just got off the phone from a guy at the apple store, he said they don't carry os 9 anymore, and that I could get it of ebay so I am looking for a good deal. But even then I don't know if it would work.

and Thank you to everyone who is helping me:)

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Is it scratched? What does the disk say on it?

Doesn't seem like the right disk or the right version.

15. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Is the copy a version which came with the variety of iMac that you have, if not..won't work as far as I know.

You really need to get hold of a disc which shipped with that type of iMac.

Easy when you have that... you can then just use disk utility to reinstall and off you go to happy G3 land :)

Just scour ebay and the like... craigslist, that type of thing you know , maybe even put a wanted add up in various places .

Whatever happens you need that disc.

what iMac was it again?* edit> nvm , I thought I ight have had a disc to fit but I have 1 set of OS9 discs and hey are for a blueberry...maybe I should try it on my graphite G3? ...to see if it works ...then you'll know any iMac disc will do-
    -I'd like some advice myself first tho before I try-

-should I try ??... or could I screw up my G3's ?

16. brotherben thread starter macrumors member

brotherben

Go for it, try it out. BUT first back up your imac's hard drive so you don't lose anything, if it doesn't work.

17. brotherben thread starter macrumors member

brotherben

THANKS to everyone, I figured it out. I tried every os (10.4, 10.3, os8, os9.0, os9.2) and I found one that booted and worked osx 10.2. For some reason it worked and I am going to do the firmware update to put at least 10.3 on it.
    I just want to thank every one for their help. Now on to my next imac g3 (still looking for a green or orange one).

Peace:apple:, Ben

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Tnx for reporting that 10.2 (Jaguar) can do the trick too!

Have fun, brotherben! :cool:

And get those colours together! :apple: