Installing a software from a document

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omansour, May 25, 2011.

1. omansour macrumors member

Hi,

I bought a new camera today and I needed to install the software driver on the computer. Sadly, my CD ROM seems not to be working well and it couldn't read the CD. The CD was ejected after one minute. So I couldn't install the driver.

I then copied the content of the CD into another computer, got the files into a document, and then transfer to my Macbook Pro. Now I can't find how to install it (e.g., in windows you find the .exe file and thats it) but there is no such thing in Mac. Any help how to install this software driver directly from the document?

THANKS

2. simsaladimbamba

What do you mean with
    ?
    What do you mean with "document"? A folder?

Why not just copy the contents of the DVD into a FOLDER via Windows, then copy that folder to the Mac?
    And what exact camera are you talking about?
    Have you looked for any Mac OS X drivers (if they even exist or are even needed) online?
    Doesn't Image Capture work?

3. omansour thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

It is the new canon PowerShot SX230 and I actually what you just suggested. I copied the content into a folder and put into my Mac. But my question is how to install the software driver on the computer. Now I have all the content inside the folder but how to run it?

Thanks!
    /O

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

is there an online download? check their site.

5. simsaladimbamba

I was irritated by you using the term "document" instead of "folder", as they are not the same.

Anyway, open the folder in Mac OS X and enlarge the window to see all its contents.
    Then make a screenshot and post it here.

Anyway, NO DRIVERS ARE NEEDED.
    You can import the photos via iPhoto or even Image Capture. But there is additional image browsing software coming with that Canon, called "Image Browser", which you can also download via this link, which is the same as the link above this.

6. omansour thread starter macrumors member

Here it is.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

7. simsaladimbamba

Okay, those are just folders, but from their naming, they seem to be Window orientated.
    [​IMG]

But again:

8. altecXP macrumors 65816

As there is nothing there listed for OS X I would assume thats all Windows software.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

it's a syntactical smackdown!

while you are tazing the op, i'll throw in an extra kick about the misunderstood relationship between drivers, devices, and software :)

seriously, though, this can all be pretty confusin. speaking as a canon owner, though, it doesn't have tobe. just plug it in. who needs canon software?

10. omansour thread starter macrumors member

I tried to connect the camera directly to the computer without any installed software but it didn't work. However, I didn't open iPhoto to check whether the photos can be imported or not.

Any suggestions for a software that can help me in transferring the photos?

11. simsaladimbamba

As already stated: iPhoto, Image Capture or the downloadable Canon software called Image Browser.
    iPhoto and Image Capture can be found via Spotlight (CMD+SPACEBAR).

12. omansour thread starter macrumors member

I will try with the first two softwares but I couldn't find the Canon Image Capture. The one available on their website is just an updater that requires the software to be previously installed.

13. simsaladimbamba

Ah, then I misread that part. But as palpatine already mentioned, Canon software, as ****ing **** as it is, is not needed.
    I have two Canon cameras (G9 and 450D) and I only used Canon software in the beginning, as Image Capture can do the same job, with a much easier interface.
    Now I use Adobe Lightroom, but iPhoto should suit your photo organising needs.

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

i just plug in mycamera and the apple software starts up. i think i have to press a button to download. that's it. are you sure you have plugged it in and given it a try? i have to admit that i would be pretty surprised if my canon cameras worked and yours didn't ( i don't have my cameras in hand to check model numbers).