Installing a SSD; cloning or fresh install?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beedoola, Jul 29, 2012.

1. beedoola macrumors member

I have a 13'' Early 2011 MBP. I don't have install disks for it... So, I don't have an OS install disk. Is there a high risk rate for cloning a HD and having it fail/ Do cloned HDs not perform as well as a freshly installed one?

If a fresh install is the only way, how do I do about doing it without having an OS disk?

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

I recommend a fresh install.
    I had some problems with the OS after cloning my 5400RPM HDD and paste it on a new 7200RPM HDD. Snow Leopard was laggy and sometimes would freeze for no reason. ( ex : while chatting in iChat)
    After a fresh install every thing was normal.

After my experience, I say it's a NO go :)

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I cloned my HDD to my SSD with Carbon Copy Cloner and had no problems at all. There's so many variables involved; no two people have exactly the same setup, so your results could be different. Some people prefer to do a clean install every time they upgrade the OS, change drives, etc. I generally don't feel the need. My cloned drive works just fine, and my ML upgrade works just fine. You can always try cloning it, and then if you have problems you can do a clean install.

4. beedoola thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so what do I do (how do I go about) installing a on a new SSD without any disks? I'm currently running Lion 10.7.4 - my computer has no apple care and is outside the warranties. Also, I currently have a 5400rpm 500GD HD that I wanted to put in the optical bay. Is it worth using the 5400 or should I try and find a 7200 to use in optical bay?

do you have an questionably sourced software?

5. hamiltonDSi, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

If you have a few minutes to spare in copying files, a 5400RPM HDD for data storage will be just fine in the optical bay, with a 7200RPM HDD the battery will drain faster but the speed will a be a little better.

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Questionably sourced? That's an interesting way of putting it. But no, all my software is legal.

7. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Sounds like cloning is a hit or miss.

I myself cloned my 5400RPM Stock HDD to my SSD and haven't had any problems with it at all.

8. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I'd do a fresh install just to make sure you don't end up with any problems.