installing a SSD hard drive in the new Macbooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NYU02, Dec 2, 2008.

1. NYU02 macrumors regular

As per my previous post, I think I'm going to get a macbook. After reading some reviews I see that it has become iincredibly easy to replace the hard drive. Since their options are 5400rpm or $700 SSD, I wanted to know if I could buy a SSD hard drive from newegg (around $150) and install it myself. Here are my questions:

1) how hard is this to do? and are their any online tutorials for this already?

2) I know it doesn't void the warranty but will apple help you install your new ssd hard drive?

3) will any ssd drive work?

4) Has anyone done this and recommend doing this?

Thanks,
    NYU02

2. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

1. so easy his mother could do it to paraphrase one of the users who have done this.

2. no they will not help you install it.

3. has to have an SATA connector. some SSD drives have zif PATA connectors that won't work.

4. yeap, see this thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=597286

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Do a search on "SSD" in this Macbook/iBook forum. There are lots of information.

4. NYU02 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, I did a search on SSDs and I'm a little confused now on which SSD to get? I dont want this JMircron problem? Which SSD works best?

Thanks,
    NYU02

5. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

AFAIK Intel SSDs are the only ones not using the Jmicron controller.

Intel X25-m is what you want.

6. NYU02 thread starter macrumors regular

The intel SSD are so expensive. What are the issues with JMicron that are so bad? I see many mac users on this forum use Patriot or OCZ. There is a version 2.0 of the Patriot or OCZ that fixes these problems. They are much cheaper on newegg, between 150-300. Does anyone recommend these drives?

Thanks,
    NYU02

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Search for the thread specifically on OCZ SSD. Users are reporting good results.

8. NYU02 thread starter macrumors regular

why are some SSD drives smaller in size but much more expensive or why are the patriot and ocz so cheap? I've never heard of these brands before, that why?

thanks,
    NYU02

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Both patriot and ocz are actually re-branded samsung ssd. Their prices are cheaper (I think) because they don't work well at all with Vista.

10. NYU02 thread starter macrumors regular

why would the drive work well with one operating system and not another? Also, if I run vista on fusion will the from ocz fail?

Thanks,
    NYU02

11. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

First question - no one knows, at least as far as I know, no reviewer ever commented that.

Second question - why don't you post here to answer one of the OCZ SSD owners.