Installing a SSD into a Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spudster, Mar 1, 2011.

1. spudster macrumors newbie

Hello

I have a question regarding fitting an SSD into a macbook pro.

I run a windows home server where I store all files as other computers in the
    house access them. I will connect to the home nextwork via wifi. If I upgrade to SSD I guess I will see massive improvements in bootup and opening application times but as I access all files over the wifi would people consider it a bit pointless putting a SSD into the machine.

I guessing that the network connection or server HDDs themselves are going to play a part in slowing things down.

Hope that makes sense.

2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Yes.
    Not at all. This actually makes getting a SSD quite affordable as you can get a low capacity one and it'll meet your needs. A low capacity SSD isn't that expensive and makes it feel faster. It's worth getting in my opinion.

The WiFi will slow things down. But if you do any work at all with files stored locally e.g. while out and about then you should notice a big improvement.

SSDs will help with time spent installing updates (once they're downloaded) etc.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Definitely consider getting an N router if you don't have one already. I just did the exact same thing you're considering and haven't had any issues. I put the 120gb drive into the MBP and honestly was a little nervous. I'm currently only using 35GB on the Mac partition (15 of which is World of Warcraft) and 60 on the Windows 7 partition (unfortunately I require Visual Studio).

My iTunes library is stored on my Synology NAS, and is accessed by both a wired iMac and the wireless MBP. I don't have any problems with this setup. My Aperture 3 Raw library is also on the NAS. Same deal; no real delays. On Wireless N I average ~15Mbps both directions, which is more than sufficient for most tasks.

Welcome to the newfound speed realm :)

4. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

I have an Airport Extreme and I access my network storage drive for files all the time. I installed the OCZ Vertex 2 120 GB drive so I could keep my music on the laptop and my movies/pictures/software installers on the network storage. The drive was just over $200 and it installed in 5 minutes. By far the best upgrade I've ever done, and my computer couldn't feel faster......although I am selling it and hoping to get enough for a 13" air....or spend a bit more for a 2.2 15"

5. spudster thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers folks for the responses

As I am not a gamer I was looking to buy the base 15" model. Upgrading the screen res and putting a ssd (non apple) in seems money better spent for my purposes than getting the higher spec 15" with the better gpu.

Thanks for educating me on this issue :)

6. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

Vertex 2

Hi there,

Have you had to take any actions regarding performance degrading etc, or is it all ticking over nicely? Any need to manually TRIM or invoke some sort of garbage collection?

I'm considering a Vertex 3 as they're out soon..

7. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Vertex 2 drives use the SandForce SF-1200 chipsets which have built-in garbage collection. They don't need TRIM to avoid performance degradation.

8. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Considering installing SSD in my Macbook as well. Will this speed up transfers between the MacBook and iPad/iPhone, particularly when down converting music to 128kbps?

9. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

Anything that involves the hard disk is improved :)

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

That will probably be quite improved. I do frequent handbraking of DVDs (converting my years of DVD purchases) using the Automator functions described HERE. A regular 100-minute movie used to take about 80 minutes to encode using my Early-09 iMac, but after I did the SSD, it jumped to about 55 minutes.

Your improvement will probably be even more substantial, especially if you have one of the Core i5+ processors in the MBP versus my C2D iMac.