Installing a SSD: Mac Mini or MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sidgriffey, Mar 3, 2011.

1. sidgriffey macrumors member

I just ordered a 40GB SSD to install in one of my machines. I intend to use the SSD to boot the OS and apps, leaving the current HDD to handle the data and have the optical disc removed and put in an enclosure for external use.

Which of these machines make more sense to install the SSD in?

October 2009 Mac Mini 2.66GHz with 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD (note: still under warranty. Use as HTPC and stream itunes library and other video/audio content remotely to iOS devices frequently).

August 2007 Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB Ram and 160GB HDD (note: not under warranty. Use as laptop around the house. don't really use as a server so much because the other machine has much more storage and is docked at the desk being a Mac Mini and all).

I lean towards the MBP because it is not under warranty, but any thoughts? Would having that SSD in the Mac Mini make it a much faster HTPC for remote access purposes and running as many servers as it does (streamtome, airvideo, plex, zumocast, eyetv....).

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

If the mini is primarily an HTPC and server, it won't see major benefit from it. You're not going to fit your media library on it, after all!

What an SSD really helps is day-to-day application load time. The MacBook will by far benefit more. (Not that the mini won't benefit, but given the choice, the MB is the better option.)

3. sidgriffey thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Much appreciated advice.