Installing a SSD: Mac Mini or MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sidgriffey, Mar 3, 2011.

1. sidgriffey macrumors member

I just ordered a 40GB SSD to install in one of my machines. I intend to use the SSD to boot the OS and apps, leaving the current HDD to handle the data and have the optical disc removed and put in an enclosure for external use.

Which of these machines make more sense to install the SSD in?

October 2009 Mac Mini 2.66GHz with 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD (note: still under warranty. Use as HTPC and stream itunes library and other video/audio content remotely to iOS devices frequently).

August 2007 Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB Ram and 160GB HDD (note: not under warranty. Use as laptop around the house. don't really use as a server so much because the other machine has much more storage and is docked at the desk being a Mac Mini and all).

I lean towards the MBP because it is not under warranty, but any thoughts? Would having that SSD in the Mac Mini make it a much faster HTPC for remote access purposes and running as many servers as it does (streamtome, airvideo, plex, zumocast, eyetv....).

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

The MBP. Since you're using the Mac Mini to stream/play media, it really doesn't need much performance. The MacBook Pro does, as you use it a lot more.

3. sidgriffey thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. Good point.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Go with the machine you use more of. Best bang for the buck, that's how I'd decide.

5. Mactastic91 macrumors newbie

MBP DUH! A jockey invests all of his time on his stud horse....:) Lol jk...I'm going to say whichever one you use more.