Installing across user accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scienide09, Sep 15, 2007.

1. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I tried searching Apple support and the forums but I haven't found the answers I need.

Some of my applications are installed and available to all users on a machine, while others are not. For example, my installation of MS Office for Mac works fine on both user accounts, but my recent installation of coconutBattery works on my account, but not when my wife is logged in (it's a folder with a no entry symbol and gives the error message "...it is damaged or incomplete"). For ease of use, we both have full admin privileges.

I know that some programs will not work when they are in use in another user account. However, in this case I cannot run this program on her account even when only her account is active.

Any thoughts on how this might be fixed without double-installing these programs?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

What folder are you storing your Applications in?

They should be in the /Applications/ folder, directly off the root of your HD. This folder is accessible to all users.

3. scienide09 thread starter macrumors 65816

scienide09

I just double-checked to be absolutely sure, and yes, the /Applications/ folder is the location.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok, on her account right click on the Applications folder, and select Get Info.

Look at the bottom of the info window at the Ownership and Permissions info. Make sure it says "You can Read & Write", also make sure it says "Owner: system". Then select "Apply to enclosed items"

5. scienide09 thread starter macrumors 65816

scienide09

Hey, thanks! :)

I was immediately able to open coconutBattery, and everything seems ok. It folder is still showing the no entry symbol, but I don't care about that.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.