Installing additional memory MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tigerlili, Jan 3, 2009.

1. tigerlili macrumors newbie

I wanted to upgrade the memory in my MacBook Pro model MB133LL/A to 4GB of RAM. I ordered only one 2GB card from Crucial not realizing that there were 2-1GB cards in the machine and not one 2GB card. I'm reading about installing additional memory in pairs. So, now what? Can I just purchase another 2GB card or do I have to return it and buy two together? Would I be hurting the machine if I leave one 1GB card in place, install the 2GB card and then wait for the additional 2GB card to arrive? Also, why is there a designation of Early 2008, Late 2008, etc when referring to a serial #?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can order another 2GB stick and be fine, just make sure you order the exact same brand and model.

Leaving the 1GB stick in will not hurt the machine, it will perform faster than it does now.

The Early 2008, Late 2008 refers to when the computer was released.

3. tigerlili thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I appreciate your prompt response. I was afraid to start up the machine until I knew I wouldn't be causing major damage.:p

Regarding the release date, does that have any bearing on the components?

Thanks again. Happy New Year!!:D

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ In regards to that, yes there is some difference. The Early 2008 MBPs can only accept DDR2 memory (800mhz, 200-pin, PC5400) whereas Late 2008 MBPs can only accept DDR3 memory (1066mhz, 204-pin, forgot the PC_XXXX model number).

5. tigerlili thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm... is that difference in type of memory significant?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, that is a significant difference. DDR3 will not work in a MBP designed for DDR2, although I think DDR3 slots are backwards compatible with DDR2.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

dont worry, basically if you try to put the wrong type of RAM in, it wont fit, DDR3 (new RAM) wont fit in a DDR2 slot, so you cant really go wrong.