Installing airport card in mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brianmacc50, Sep 8, 2013.

1. brianmacc50 macrumors newbie

Hello-
    I have a Mac Pro (early 2009) tower that did not have an airport card and want to install one. Where can I buy a card for it? (amazon? OWS?) Also, is there a video online that show exactly how to install it?

Thanks.

2. lantree macrumors member

There not to hard to install, did one myself on my machine. Also google the mac pro 2009 service manual pdf and download it, it's a real good read and worth it's weight in gold.

3. brianmacc50 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help guys. Is this the airport card I need to buy? Its Amazon and I just don't want to order the wrong card. Plus I read it might be easier to attach the wires first, then pop int he card. Makes sense. Which 2 wires though? I've read different things on which wires are attached to it.

Attached Files:

4. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^The link I posted above references that very card. The supplier in the add you posted states:

Technical Details:
    802.11n 2.4ghz and 5ghz wi-fi adapter
    Cutting-edge chipset
    Higher speeds with lower energy consumption
    AirDrop Supported with speed up to 450Mbps
    Compatible with all Mac Pros
    -Mac Pro 1st generation, 2006
    -Mac Pro 2nd generation, 2007
    -Mac Pro 3rd generation, 2008
    -Mac Pro, 4th generation, 2009
    Requires Mac OS X 10.5.6 or later
    2 Installation screws included

So, it appears to be the correct card.

Lou

5. brianmacc50 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Lou-

I'll order it. Does it makes sense to attach wires to card first?
    Is it 1 + 3? I've seen different advice.
    And I've never seen any good video on how to attach airport, on this model (early 2009), anywhere.

Thanks.

6. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

Look for the picture by scrolling down to the middle of this page, under the heading of "FYI on Airport Card Location:" Once you remove the CPU tray, you'll find the slot for the Airport card easily. I installed the card basically just by studying the picture and yes, antenna wires connected are #1 and #3 as shown in the picture. Since all the connectors are so tiny, I actually found that it was much easier to connect the antenna wires by screwing the card to the slot first, then just pushed the wire connectors to the connectors on the card YMMV.