Installing Airport Extreme or Video Card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by michaelsviews, Jan 17, 2009.

1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

On my own voids the warranty? I was told at the local Apple store that if I installed the extreme wireless it voids the warranty by one of the Genius's

I figured I'd ask also regarding a different video card since I am posting about the wireless.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nothing voids the warranty unless you break something while you do it.

AirPort is supposed to be done by Apple, but it's not hard, and it's one screw and you're in with GPUs.

There are only 7 that work, though.

3. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, they want $80.00 and the thought of lugging it down there, and than leaving it, I told the guy I have Pro-Care, you do it right here and grab a monitor and go from there.

4. gotzero macrumors 68040

I would trust a small child to install a video-card on my MP.

I have never wanted to install the airport, but the beauty about the computer is that everything is simple to install. One of the benefits of having all that room...

5. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

installing the airport card is almost as easy as installing a hard drive into the mac pro.
    the only thing that makes it hard is how small it is, the super small antenna connectors and small screws.

but it should take less then a minute for everything if you know what you're going or if you don't follow the macrumors guide.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Adding_Bluetooth_and_Wireless_to_a_Mac_Pro

6. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for the link.

7. TimmyDee macrumors member

I don't know... I installed an AirPort card in my Mac Pro, and man it was a pain in the butt. Getting the antenna leads attached took over an hour, and my finger tips were numb for 2 weeks from all the pressure I put on them.

Still, it was less hassle than hauling the whole thing down to the Apple store and paying them the money to do it.

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

it doesn't void your warranty, but from what I understand... if you buy the airport card at the apple retail store, they'll install it for you for free. they were going to do it for me, but they didn't have the right card. they only had the new cards and I have an old mac pro (even though i told them that half a dozen times!).

9. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

well it probably helped that i had small hands, but as long as you make sure they're lined up correctly they should've just snapped in in place with little pressure.