installing an application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macchord, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Macchord macrumors newbie

hey ,
    i've just baught an IMAC OS X 10,5. and all applications are installed successfully. then i tries to install Propellerheads Reason v3. but REASON application installer can be opened only by TEXTEDIT!!! how can i open it with normal mac installer?! please advise.
    thanks

2. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

I don't mean to sound condescending, but did you download the Mac version? OS X can't read .exe files (and often opens them in text edit if at all).

The mac "installer" will have a .dmg extension (though looking at the site it was a .zip, but that will automatically unzip a dmg when you double click on it). The .dmg isn't really an installer like you'd be used to in windows but a disk image. When you double click on it, it will mount and a folder will open. If the folder contains just one icon (or an icon and a readme or something) then just drag the icon over to the applications folder (or wherever) and it will install itself. Otherwise, there might be a bunch of files one of which will be called something like setup or installer. If so just double click on that file and follow the prompts (which are generally similar to windows installshield).

I hope that helped.