Installing an extra 2GB on a 2011 MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justinc899, Dec 6, 2011.

1. justinc899, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014

justinc899 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if it would be okay to install a Kingston khx5300s2llk2 HyperX Performance 2GB chip on my 2011 MacBook Pro (with a single 4B RAM chip in it) to upgrade to 6GB? Would it cause me any problems?

[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

2. Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

I believe that RAM on MBP's must be installed in pairs, so I don't think it's going to work. If you want more RAM, I think you'll have to go with 8GB.

3. simsaladimbamba

It will work, but are you sure, that the 4 GB RAM consists of one 4 GB RAM module and not a pair of 2 GB modules, like in every other Mac coming with 4 GB?

It doesn't have to be, I ran 6 GB (2 GB + 4 GB module) on my 2009 MBP just fine for several months before I upgraded to 8 GB RAM, as it was more expensive then.

OP: 8 GB RAM (two 4 GB modules) currently costs around 40 USD.

4. Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

You're right. My Apologies for the misinformation. Apple recommends installing in pairs, but there is nothing to stop you from using uneven amounts in each slot. However, if you have one 4 GB stick in one slot, where is the other stick? Shouldn't you have another 4 GB stick to accompany it?

5. justinc899, Dec 6, 2011

justinc899 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah good point, I actually have no idea. I haven't opened it yet - just assumed it was one 4gb chip. I just had this RAM kicking around that I had bought for an old laptop and thought I might be able to get some use out of it.

Do the 2011's have two 2GB sticks in two slots?

6. Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

Yes, MBP's have two slots for RAM and they come with a 2 GB stick in each slot for a total of 4 GB. If you want to upgrade your RAM you are going to have to replace at least one stick since they only have two slots.

Keep in mind, RAM has to be compatible too. It might not be. My iMac has DDR3 RAM that runs at 1033 MHz (or something close to that). My MBP has DDR3 RAM that runs at 1333 MHz. I don't think I could use the same RAM for both.

7. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

It is 2+2 by default. A 4GB stick is considerably more costly than 2gb sticks.

If it were 4.... you could do 4+2, it would work as long as the RAM is the same speed. However the performance would not be the same as matching pair.

8. justinc899, Dec 6, 2011

justinc899 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks for all the replies! Think I am going to order two 4GB sticks off OWC soon.

9. davidlv macrumors 65816

Open the "About this Mac" from the Apple menu and hit the "More info" button to start up the System Profiler.
    Somewhere on the left will be a "Memory" item, hit that and you should be able to see what your RAM configuration is. :cool:

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Uhm, I know this has been resolved, but that piece of RAM is DDR2 667 MHz RAM according to the serial number. It's also running with 1.8v as opposed to the 1.5v RAM that the current MBPs take.

In the best case, you would not have been able to install it, since the small gap in the silicone is at a different location. In the worst case you could have fried your board.