Installing an HDD in the second superdrive slot?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ravich, May 3, 2011.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering what exactly I would need to accomplish this. Do I need to buy a cable? Do I need some sort of enclosure?

Thanks!

2. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

It depends on which Mac Pro you have and what kind of hard drive.

4. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hum... I didnt know that Mac Pros had been redesigned much since they were dubbed "Mac Pros"

Anyway, I have a 2009 8 core, and I'd probably be wanting to add a caviar black 3.5'' drive.

5. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Because earlier MacPros had a couple IDE cables leading up to the optical bay, if you needed SATA, you had to get an extra cable and run it from the logic board yourself.

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

2009 has a SATA cable there, and that's a SATA drive, so no problems. Get a 3.5" to 5.25" adapter so the drive can be physically secured in the bay, and use the existing SATA data/power cabling.

7. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. HXGuy macrumors 68000

How easy/hard is it to access the SuperDrive slot to install the HDD? Doesn't look that accessible...

[​IMG]

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I have no specific recommendation. Any cheap adapter should do. I've used whatever the local stores carry at the time.

10. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

The whole bracket for both drive bays simply slides out when you pull on it.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

The cable to each ODD bay in your machine contains both Data + Power (aka backplane connector), so you only need to plug it in, and you're good to go in terms of hooking it up. :)

As per mounting, you can use a simple metal adapter if you wish (the one you linked would do the trick), or you could even use Zip ties or velcro if you wanted. Up to you. Given it's going to be a mechanical disk however, I don't recommend leaving it loose as you can do with an SSD due to no moving parts.