Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lpsninja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
I remember hearing about it on a website, is there any rough tutorials to go about this?

Don't ask me why I want to do it, my friend said it can't be done, and I just want to show him up :D

...he also thinks macs are dumb, so hes not so smart in the brain, hehe.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
you would have to let go the passenger seat if you wanted one lol

some sort of platform you see in supermarkets i would think , so the book could sit on it .

next you'd be asking for red led's for your front bumper :D very Knightrider

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
They have laptop mounts that attach to the center console area, if that's what you mean. :)

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
I know there are tonnes of sites out there showing tutorials and pictures of Mac minis in cars. iBooks are slightly rarer.

To keep it intact I'm guessing it would require a simple pull-up table on the back of one of the seats!! Or a big indent in the top of the dash to place it in on the passenger side, otherwise you'd be dismantling it into different pieces, at which stage you'd be better to go with the well proven mothod of using a Mac mini, more "auto-installable" as it were!

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Just got done putting my mac mini in the car. Week later took it out. Not worth it. Front row too much of a pain in the arse to use, no real interface for mac available. Don't waste your time. If you are serious about a car computer stick a pc notebook in the car. There are tons of great GUIs for the PC and lots of apps like GPS, etc etc.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Mp3car.com

but there is NO front end for mac yet.

you are on your own if you want some sort of interface.

there are current things in the works, but its a long way off to get something like what you can with a PC.

If you want a carputer, get a PC, if you MUST have a Mac instead, be prepared to "pay" for it in less options.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
If people put MacMini in their cars, why not iBook? They have the same interfaces...:confused:

ClaZ

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2007
Hi to all !!

You can see this:

http://www.macitynet.it/forum/showthread.php?t=12160

This link is for a PBG4 17" installed partially but connected with the Audio/video system of my car.

At this link:

http://www.macitynet.it/forum/showthread.php?t=30423

you can see ALL the work i made for transform an iBook in a carputer.
What i made, what i used and what the carputer make...

At this link:

http://www.macitynet.it/forum/showthread.php?t=44944

you can see the status of the installation on the some car.
It is not termined because it is a "work in progress" but the function is proved... :)

The link pointed at an italian forum. But the photos are tons... and this photo is self-explayned..

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
It's too bad that the articles on the Pathintosh -- a G3 Lombard PowerBook seamlessly mounted into a Nissan Pathfinder -- can no longer be found on the web. There were very detailed instructions on a very elegant, powerful and somewhat inexpensive to complete.

I think the Mini is the preferred integration form factor because it is
  • less expensive,
  • more compact and
  • easier to replace/upgrade components

Furthermore, the iBook lacks a full DVI port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.