Installing an OEM on two computers?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ozreth, May 29, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Hello. I am currently using an OEM version of Windows 7 on my MBP. Was wondering if I were to install it on my girlfriends MBP what would happen?

Would it at least get the 30 day trial? And would this affect my copy at all when I go to update etc?

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

It likely won't validate the product key, so you'll only get the 30-day trial. OEM version are only meant to be installed on one machine, and I believe MS takes a hardware "fingerprint" of your system and checks it each time the OS is registered. You could technically bypass the problem by calling microsoft to activate the product, but it may still cause problems down the road having two machines with the same product key.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You won't be able to activate it without calling Microsoft and lying to them.

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

If it makes you feel any better, you'll only be lying to an automated computer system, and computers don't have souls.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can not enter a product key and will get a 30 day trial extendable to 120 days in 30 day increments. This way if you choose to get a separate product key to activate hers you'll be fine.

I'll spare you my OEM is not licensed to individual end users spiel since you already have it.

B