Installing an Old OS on top of New

Discussion in 'macOS' started by treatment, Aug 7, 2012.

1. treatment macrumors member

Hey guys
    My first post here!
    This is a "newbie" question, although I've been using macs for 2 decades.

I need to reinstall OS 10.5.
    My current OS is 10.5.8, so I am assuming after I install 10.5 I can use the Software Update to get myself back up to 10.5.8.

Reason being, I have use Onyx, Disc Utility, reset permissions, but STILL my computer is behaving strangely, not saving preferences, etc. Rather than FIGHT it, I would like to do a clean install of 10.5

HOWEVER:
    I have a TON of software, plug ins, and I am VERY concerned about having to reinstall all of this stuff again. (It would literally take me a month)

It has been ages since I had to reinstall the OS on ANY of my macs, so if someone can confirm that everything should be hunky-dorry, than I won't be so intimidated to do this.

Step 1: CC Cloner to dupe the drive to another drive in case of mass failure.
    Step 2: Install from the Original installer disc that came with the computer (10.5)
    Step 3: Tell it to "Archive? and INstall?" so that I have 2 operating systems (1 old, 1 new)
    Step 4: Software Update will get me to 10.5.8
    Step 5: PRAY TO GOD that my applications still work.
    Step 6: Erase the Old OS
    Is there anything I am forgetting?

Any help, much appreciated, and PLEASE, in case you were thinking about asking me, "Why are you using such an old, outdated OS".....don't bother.

Cheers
    Treatment

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

If you've got a good clone I don't see why you'd need to do an archive and install.

Seems that "Erase and Install" would be your method of choice. Test the installation to make sure the system software isn't slowing you down, and then I believe you could use Leopard Migration Ass't to bring your stuff over from the backup. There was an upgrade to that so make sure you've got that before you dive in.

And you might want to add stuff gradually; diagnosing a software problem on an old system kinda requires that. Applications sometimes add stuff that is just incompatible. If you could migrate from an installation that worked before the slow down that would be ideal. If you ran the machine from 10.5 already and it worked OK, then only two possibilities exist: your hard drive is dying, or the non-system software you've installed is suspect.

3. treatment thread starter macrumors member

Rob

Thanks for the advice!
    I haven't used Migration Assistant before, hopefully it allows me to individually choose which applications and plug ins to migrate.

Unfortunately I cloned the drive at the point that it was starting to have problems, hence the need for a clean install.
    I doubt the problem is HDD related, most likely as you mentioned incompatible software.
    Wish me luck!

Cheers
    Treatment