Installing an operating system?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fgreco, Sep 6, 2007.

1. fgreco macrumors newbie

I want to know how to install an operating system on a mac. I know how to do it on a windows based computer but, not a mac iam new to them. if someone could break it down for me I would know how to do it. thanks for all help in advance. Hi to everyone I am new.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Depends on the operating system.

If you are talking about OSX, it is already installed but if you want to reinstall it, just pop in the restore CD and follow the instructions.

If you are talking about Windows, then you need either Bootcamp if you want to dual boot, or something like Parallels or VMWare if you want to run windows inside of OSX.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Step One: Put in DVD/CD.
    Step Two: Double Click Installer.
    Step Three: Select drive and Install.
    Step Four: Don't waste time installing drivers or any other crap, just fill in the registration and get to work.

Its so easy fgreco. So so so easy.

4. fgreco thread starter macrumors newbie

I can do this even if the drive is wiped clean with nothing on it? This sounds very easy. also I just am concerned with mac operating systems not windows on a mac.

I really feel that defeats the perpose of a mac if you have windows on it but, maybe windows works better on a mac I really dont know mac's. Thanks to all.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Boot up with the DVD in the drive and hold down 'C' on the keyboard until you get the grey Apple logo.

6. fgreco thread starter macrumors newbie

So the operating system disc acts as a bootup disk...right? I get what your saying. Now what if you dont have a DVD Drive. Is there an operating system on a CD?

7. Winckle macrumors newbie

If your mac is that old, you can fill in a special form to ask for a CD version of 10.4.

What mac are you installing the OS onto?

8. fgreco thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont have a mac yet I am looking on ebay cause I dont have that much money to buy a new one. Anyway I am looking for a power mac G4. It has single processor confirguration and I want OS 10.4 Tiger on it I would have a gig of memory.