Installing an SSD after purchase

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yakkowarner epi, May 27, 2011.

1. yakkowarner epi macrumors member

I called an apple store near me and asked them this question. If I purchased a 2011 iMac now (the model I want is in their store now) can they install their SSD in my 2011 iMac in 6 months from now when their supplies are good. He said no. Is this correct?

Can I have an apple certified repair shop do it for me instead?

The third option is to do it myself but it sounds a bit harder than working on my old PC tower. It was really easy to do things like this to my PC tower so it's something I'm familiar with.

The reason I want to go this route is I don't want to wait 4-8 weeks just for the SSD. I know, I'm impatient. But I really want the SSD and I want my iMac NOW.

And a side question.
    What should I do with my Mac mini now that I will no longer be needing it? Can I turn it into a movie player for my HDTV? Or?

thx,
    Alan

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You will get varying opinions here, my vote be patient and do it right. Patience is a virtue. :)

3. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

First option is correct AFAIK no apple store will install an SSD after the fact.

Second option: If you have an authorized apple service center in your area they should be able to an the SSD for you and not void your warranty.

Third option: You can DIY if you're feeling up to doing the surgery yourself. Obviously you're doing this at your own risk but you're saving yourself the shop labor (~$100 or so). There is at least 1 very good procedure on this forum with pics. This is what I plan to do in the not so distant future.

As for the mini. I would install xbmc, install the HDMI to my flat panel and let the good times roll

4. yakkowarner epi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will just install the SSD at a later date with someone apple certified. I have some video/picture editing I want to do before school starts on August first. It doesn't look like I'll get my order in time if I choose the SSD custom order. The Mac Mini doesn't cut it in these two areas.

-Alan