Installing an SSD - OS and File Transfer - Best or Recommended Method Please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JonnyAlpha, Dec 26, 2014.

1. JonnyAlpha macrumors regular

Hi;

I have a Macbook Pro Late 2008 Unibody 2.4Ghz 240GB SATA HDD with 8GB Ram and Firmware Upgrade. I just got a shiny new Crucial MX100 500GB SSD Drive and befor I install it I just need a little advice or confirmation on the best recommended method to do this.

When I bought the Mac it came with Leopard I think and when Mavericks was released I upgraded to Snow Leopard (to get access to the App Store) and then installed Mavericks. I seem to recall that I did these as an upgrade and not as a clean install.

I am about to replace the old SATA II HDD with an SSD Drive and am not sure about a clean install or a simple clone and transfer?

I have looked at a couple of videos about installing the SSD into an external enclosure and cloning the old drive onto the new one before swapping them out but as I have never done a clean install for a while I don't want to carry across any junk, adversely however I do not want to lose my iphoto library amongst other things, iTunes I could rebuild at a push.

I backup regularly with Time Machine and I have just installed a Trial Version of CCC.

I have read about doing a recovery install here that I think may be my preferred option. Will this do a clean install of the Operating System on my cloned drive?

I also have a Boot Camp partition with Windows XP, I would like to carry on with Boot Camp but TBH I may opt for a Windows 7 version.

I guess to keep the Boot Camp version when if I used CCC I'll need to re format my SSD Drive using Disk Utilities and Partition the Drive 1 x HSF Journalled and 1 x NTFS)? How big should I make the Win 7 partition?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

What I would do:

1. Put the NEW drive into an external enclosure or USB3/SATA dock, then connect it to the MacBook

2. Use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the contents of the OLD (internal) drive to the NEW drive.

3. Do a "test boot" (hold down option key at startup until startup manager appears) to verify that the clone is good and that it will boot the MacBook

4. Open up the MacBook, and swap drives.

You can now use the enclosure or dock as an external backup/emergency booter.

Just wondering -- does a 2008 MacBook Pro even run Mavericks?

3. JonnyAlpha thread starter macrumors regular

My Macbook late 2008 Unibody runs Mavericks fine.