Installing and running applications

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stanny, Feb 9, 2009.

1. stanny macrumors 6502

So how does this Mac stuff works on installing and running applications.

I downloaded firefox, and there was this weird window that pops up which is basically the firefox icon and an arrow sign pointing to the applications folder. And then there's this firefox icon on my desktop which I can't delete, only "eject". I don't like that icon being there. What's this fuss about?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You should drag the firefox icon onto the applications folder so it is on your system (and you can use it) then firefox icon on the desk top to the trash so it ejects, and then delete the .dmg file (the install file) if you want. You can now access and run firefox from the application folder.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The icon on your desktop is a disk image, in it is the app. Drag the app icon to the apps folder to install it.

See this guide for more info.

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

The file you download is a ".dmg" or Disc Image. It's like a virtual drive.

YOu open it, and it mounts. Inside the virtual drive is the application itself. Copy this to where you want (typically this is the applications folder) - the arrow is just a convenient way to do this as the folder is a shortcut to the applications folder, just click and drag).

Once it is copied there, you can unmount the virtual drive, and delete the ".dmg" file.

5. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet man, I understand it now. Thanks folks! Gonna download some games from apple.com/downloads. Tons of free games there.

Btw, I've got an applications stack on my dock and when I click it one of my applications doesn't seem to have an icon picture but it does have an icon picture under the applications folder itself when I open it. It's VLC Media Player. Any idea?

Update: Wait a sec, I spoke too soon. I installed another application and VLC's icon magically appeared. Things just work magically in Mac!

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

1. Make sure what you install comes from a trustworthy source, there are trojans out there that will try to trick you into installing them.

2. The icon will appear, give it a little bit.

7. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

When deleting applications, just delete it under applications and that's it?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Generally, yes. If it came with an uninstaller, use that.

9. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

It will delete the main application, but not all the preference files. Something like AppCleaner will help with that, and I can personally recommend it.

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I agree. Programs always leave behind a bunch of files when they are deleted. I use appCleaner too it is nice.