installing and uninstalling an application

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by torabora, Apr 18, 2007.

1. torabora macrumors member

How do you install applications? I looked at the wiki entry and that helped a little but i'm still having problems

For example I have "vlc-0.6a" sitting on my desktop and I can't delete it, and when I click the firefox icon in the dock a firefox image appears then the browser and I have to manually close the firefox pop up/image

What's the best way to uninstall a program/application? do I have to have appZapper (cause I've been hearing good things about it but its also not free so if its worth it i'll get it)

and I've been told that mac rumors doesn't allow discussions on torrents/p2p apps so can someone direct me to forums that do allow it?

Thanks!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There is a great uninstalling program called uApp, but it's disappeared. I've created a download for it, shoot me a PM if you want the link.

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

For most applications, to install it you just open up the .DMG file that you downloaded and then drag the application icon into your Applications folder. That's it. Uninstalling a program like that is as simple as going into your Application folder and dragging the app's icon to the trash. You don't really need uApp or another dedicated uninstaller, but some people really like them because they'll remove preferences files and other things left behind by apps sometimes.

I'm not sure what you're saying about FireFox, that line really confused me.

4. torabora thread starter macrumors member

Okay I just installed quicksilver and after I did so I deleted the .dmg file but when I empty my trash it won't let me delete that; and there is also a quicksliver file with a CD drive looking icon on my desktop and I can't move it to the trash

what should I do with the .dmg and file on my desktop?

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What I usually do is create an "untitled folder" (original I know :p) and store all of the dmg files and anything else that I don't want cluttering up my desktop.

6. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

after you install it (drag it to the Applications folder), you have to run the application out of the Applications folder. That is, you can't launch it out of the "CD drive looking icon", otherwise you will get those error messages when you try to delete the DMG.

7. torabora thread starter macrumors member

Adium isn't working

[​IMG]

how do I get rid of this excess?

[​IMG]

8. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I am really lost as to what exactly you're doing. You do NOT need to keep DMGs or the mounted disk images after installing something. I always trash the DMG as soon as I install something. Here's the process for about 95% of Mac software:

1. Open the DMG file. This will create what is called a disk image on your desktop.
    2. Inside the mounted disk image, grab and drag the application's icon into your Applications folder on your hard drive.
    3. Drag both mounted disk image AND .dmg file to the trash (unless you want to save the .dmg file somewhere, just put it wherever you want, but you don't need it anymore).
    4. Launch application from your Applications folder.

What part of that are you not doing? Are you trying to run the applications you download from inside the disk image???

9. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Ok, in your last image: the icon you have highlighted is an UNmounted Disk image. The other two icons are MOUNTED disk images. Pretend that they are cds that you put in the drive, and the unmounted image is a cd you haven't put in the drive and is just lying on your desk.

To install apps:

MOUNT the disk image. Just double click on it and it should open. inside should be the program and it's associated files. You need to Drag these to your APPLICATIONS folder. It will copy the application.

After you have done this, you can close the window that you drug the app out of. Then, drag the mounted disks (Transmission and Firefox in your last image) to the trash, which turns into an eject button to indicate that you are just UNmounting the disk.

Finally, you can drag the remaining *.dmg file (remember, it's just like a CD on your desk and is in no way part of anything that was installed) to the trash to delete it.

Edit: sort of beat'd, but may still be useful.