Installing another computer's 10.6.1 on my last year's MBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jumbb, Jun 6, 2010.

1. jumbb macrumors regular

I have a 13'' MBP with Leopard (10.5) and my sister just bought a white macbook.
    With it, comes the installation DVD for Snow Leopard (10.6)

I was wondering if I could use and install Snow Leopard with that CD on my computer.
    If yes, will there be any problems in my MBP? Will any of my info and apps get lost? And, will my sister be able to use that cd later?

Thanks for your help! :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Those disks are system specific and thus will not work with your Mac. 10.6 disk is only 29$ anyway

3. jumbb thread starter macrumors regular

Oh...ok :)

Do you think I should? Is Snow Leopard a lot better?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't think Snow Leopard provides anything crucial over Leopard. For 29$, it's worth it due some minor changes. In the end, you likely won't notice any difference though

5. jumbb thread starter macrumors regular

You are right, i think i'll wait for the nex update :D the thing i liked the most about Snow is the new Quick time and recording the screen, however i already have Screenium, so maybe it's not worth it... thanks! :)

6. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

They are system specific, but can work between generations of the same model if the difference didn't change a lot.

Both of my sisters have white MacBooks, one generation (or two, I'm not sure) apart. Reinstalling 10.4 on the most recent one, using the older disk, worked (she had lost hers). I had to use Target mode to install it, but it did work.

Obviously in the present case it wouldn't work, as this is not the same motherboard.