Installing Anti-Virus software really necessary?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ViolentHero, Feb 1, 2012.

1. ViolentHero macrumors member

I hear that the fact about Macs not getting viruses is slowing starting to become not true. Hackers are finding ways to attack our Macs. One of the reasons why I became a Mac user in the first place is because PC is a huge target when it comes to viruses and I grew sick and tired of putting up with them. I just used my old Dell notebook recently to try and get rid of the Security Tool virus that hit me while on deviantArt two and a half years ago. I now remember all the stress I had. I got it removed now but since I haven't used it since the attack, Windows XP needs to download and install too many updates that it begins to take up so much file space.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's still true. You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.