Installing Apache, PHP, and MySQL on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by astbn4, Jul 10, 2013.

1. astbn4 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to teach myself PHP and MySQL (PHP and MySQL Web Development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson) but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get them installed on my macbook. I'm supposed to have them in working order before I can proceed, but there are numbers of options offered (I think it was directed to window users). I'm kind of hesitant to pick because of the security issue I might will have to deal with later on. Also from what I've just read, most Macs have PHP and MySQL already installed; all I have to do is just activate the Apache program. Can someone point me to a good link, thread, or something that clearly illustrates how to do that--any helps/clarifications will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

2. DarkoDonnie macrumors member

DarkoDonnie

3. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

4. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Google it. Apache comes installed. I would use homebrew or mamp if you don't know what you're doing. XAMPP was last updated 3 years ago. MAMP is better. Generally for installing unix stuff you should use a package manager to manage dependencies. The best one is homebrew. If you don't want to fiddle around installing stuff just run MAMP. It's less control but less hassles to just get something running.

5. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

yes, u're right :)
    I forget this one hehehe

6. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I've used MAMP for the past couple of years. The basic free version is excellent.

7. DarkoDonnie macrumors member

DarkoDonnie