Installing app, what permisions are ok

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BornToMac, Jan 27, 2009.

1. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

So I am kind of a newb, but the whole trojan thing that was going around within the past two weeks has got me spooked. When you install an app from a trusted source, you are going to be asked for your admin password. This is normal and I understand. However, there were some trojans that were going around recently and people were getting tricked into giving up their password and granting certain rights to the attacker. So my question is this: What is the difference between admin privilege and root access. Further, what should you be on the lookout for when an app asks for permission when installing? I always just entered my password and assumed it was normal. For example this install is asking for admin permissions, which is normal I believe, but when should I be suspicous? [​IMG]

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-BornToMac

Interesting nick considering.

Admin is correct. I personally make it a practice never to install as .root.

I suggest you do as well.

Looks legit to me.

3. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

I am pretty sure that app zapper is gtg. Admin rights basically grant permission for the app to have admin rights to the machine to install / remove programs, etc, right? What is root access?

And the nickname comes from a Too Short album from the late 80's.

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-BornToMac

Yes, admin rights are standard to be able to install pretty much anything. But Admin does still have limitations to what you can do. Just try to trash (and empty) the "System" folder for example. It won't let you.

Basically, Admin makes you the boss of the shop, but you can't change the walls, plumbing, etc.

Root is a permission level (in some circles it's referred to as Superuser) that has no limitations. You are essentially 'God' of your system.

Mac's have root, but it is hidden because for the uninitiated, it's dangerous. You have to know what you are doing just to find it, and activate it.

5. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

Ok, thank you. That helps shed some light on what to look out for in the future!