Installing Apple TV in an adjacent closet

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Cgalbreath, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Cgalbreath macrumors newbie

I have my whole theater system in a closet. Can I install the Apple TV in there? Also without running the cable up and through the wall to the tv? I am using a Logitech remote as well. Wondering if that would work too.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

There is a recommended HDMI cable length limitation. U will have to find whether you are just a little bit off or way off.

For people who wants to wire HDMI a lot longer than the recommended, I hear there is an HDMI through CAT5/6 product, but I have no idea how expensive they are nor is aware if you will sacrificing video quality.

As for the remote, you are looking for IR extender.

3. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

You might be able to do it with a IR extender/repeater and a wireless hdmi adapter...

Hard to say much mores due to the utter lack of details you provided.

4. Cgalbreath thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I just jotted real quick what I knew and the main question I had. I will see what I can do with the info you both have provided. My tv is a good distance aprox 10ft away so I would probably need a cable longer than normal.

5. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

Do you not have any HDMI inputs on your receiver in the closet? That would be the simplest.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Then the problem becomes cable length limitation receiver -> TV, we have solved nothing.

7. linds15 macrumors 6502a

when reading i assumed the receiver was connected to the tv already, and that the length problem was solved. something is already connected to the tv no? unless this is a new project and i missed that

8. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

Yes, I assumed the same, hence my initial comment. It's implied that the home theater is already in place. If it's relatively modern, there should be HDMI inputs on the receiver.