Resolved Installing applications: can't just overwrite?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ledgem, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Ledgem, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

First, I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere (and I feel that it must have been) - I searched all over and couldn't find it.

This annoying issue deals with updating applications. Under OS X 10.6 and earlier, I would be prompted for an administrator password (my normal account is a "standard" account), then I would be asked what to do about the fact that a file with the same name already existed, and that would be it. As far as I can remember, upgrading to OS X 10.7 about a year ago changed that.

The sequence of events is about the same, but the operation fails with a message about permissions. The file to be overwritten in the Applications folder is essentially deleted (Finder reports that it is zero bytes, and it has the white cross-out symbol over it), but I have to manually remove it. Once I do so, I can go ahead and move the updated version in.

Basically, I now have to type in my administrator username and password twice to install a program that has an older version in my Applications. The behavior is the same on my wife's computer; the only thing in common between our installs is that we both upgraded from OS X 10.6.

It's not a critical issue, but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

It sounds like you have a general permissions issue - verify permissions in Disk Utility to see if anything is going on.

3. Ledgem thread starter macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I tried verifying permissions on a few occasions, on both systems, and it didn't make a difference. Is there anything else that I can try?

4. Ledgem thread starter macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Just wanted to give an update and say that this issue seems to have been resolved by updating to OS X 10.8.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It then was a permissions problem.

6. Ledgem thread starter macrumors 65816

Ledgem

That may be, but Disk Utility could never fix it no matter how many times I repaired permissions.